Author Topic: Unthawing with Fibber McGee and Molly . . .  (Read 164 times)

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
Unthawing with Fibber McGee and Molly . . .
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
My husband took our one and only car to work with him today.  I stupidly forgot to tell him that I needed it for several errands. 

Fortunately, I was able to put off two of the errands until later, and the bus got me to where I needed to go.  Took me longer than it would have if I'd had the car, but I was pretty pleased with myself for hoofing it and using public transportation!

The reason I say I'm unthawing is that the temperature was in the 30's while I was out and about. 

I took my iPod with me and happened to be listening to Fibber McGee and Molly, "Fibber Throws a Big Fish Fry."  At the end, Fibber says, "We're not unconscious of the fact that these are serious days, and bringing a few smiles to our listeners we hope we are helping to lift your spirits a little bit.  The only members of the animal kingdom that are able to laugh are human beings, so let's stay human as long as we can."

The first time I heard this episode, I checked the date.  The date it was aired was September 5, 1939.  September 1 was the day Germany invaded Poland, and September 3 was the day England declared war on Germany. 
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
Re: Unthawing with Fibber McGee and Molly . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
"We're not unconscious of the fact that these are serious days, and bringing a few smiles to our listeners we hope we are helping to lift your spirits a little bit.  The only members of the animal kingdom that are able to laugh are human beings, so let's stay human as long as we can."
Beautiful.
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Cbs

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
My husband took our one and only car to work with him today.  I stupidly forgot to tell him that I needed it for several errands. 

Fortunately, I was able to put off two of the errands until later, and the bus got me to where I needed to go.  Took me longer than it would have if I'd had the car, but I was pretty pleased with myself for hoofing it and using public transportation!

The reason I say I'm unthawing is that the temperature was in the 30's while I was out and about. 

I took my iPod with me and happened to be listening to Fibber McGee and Molly, "Fibber Throws a Big Fish Fry."  At the end, Fibber says, "We're not unconscious of the fact that these are serious days, and bringing a few smiles to our listeners we hope we are helping to lift your spirits a little bit.  The only members of the animal kingdom that are able to laugh are human beings, so let's stay human as long as we can."

The first time I heard this episode, I checked the date.  The date it was aired was September 5, 1939.  September 1 was the day Germany invaded Poland, and September 3 was the day England declared war on Germany.

Wow - I often teach the poetry of the world wars and it always gets to me - how brave ordinary people are - how resilient and courageous - thank you for sharing that context - just brilliant!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:34:23 PM by Cbs »

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
Cbs, I suspect you're of Canadian descent...   ;-P

----------

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »
Never mind, I see you fixed it  ;-P
----------

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »
I often teach the poetry of the world wars
That must be very intense indeed... and I agree, people find resources inside themselves even they never suspected were there.

Where/to whom  do you teach?
----------

Offline Cbs

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
I teach 11 to 18 year old pupils in a Secondary school in Birmingham  UK

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Wow, that's a difficult age...  and also very delicate.  I guess it takes quite some passion to teach properly to kids that age, it's not easy at all.
Do you happen to find some special student (the one that makes up for the frustration I think most are a source of) often?
----------

Offline Cbs

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
Honestly I love it and them - all. Best job ever. Every class there are one or two who just blow me away with how insightful they are and I'm staggered by their potential but they are all becoming those same ordinary exceptional people who make this world unbelievable.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »

Wow - I often teach the poetry of the world wars and it always gets to me - how brave ordinary people are - how resilient and courageous - thank you for sharing that context - just brilliant!

Thanks!  My late father was also a teacher, but of math, typing, and accounting.
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
I often believe that the two greatest radio poets/philosophers of World War II were Norman Corwin and Fibber McGee.
 :)
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
"We're not unconscious of the fact that these are serious days, and bringing a few smiles to our listeners we hope we are helping to lift your spirits a little bit.  The only members of the animal kingdom that are able to laugh are human beings, so let's stay human as long as we can."
Beautiful.

DITTO!  What a great sentiment!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.