Author Topic: Last Andrews Sisters sister dead.  (Read 115 times)

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
Last Andrews Sisters sister dead.
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
http://www.newser.com/story/161964/last-andrews-sister-dead-at-94.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_12_15

AP) – Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of the singing Andrews Sisters trio, died today at age 94. Their hits—including the rollicking "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" and the poignant "I Can Dream, Can't I?"—captured the home-front spirit of World War II. Patty was the Andrews in the middle, the lead singer and chief clown, whose raucous jitterbugging delighted American servicemen abroad and audiences at home. Her sisters were LaVerne and Maxene.

From the late 1930s through the 1940s, the Andrews Sisters produced one hit record after another, beginning with "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" in 1937 and continuing with "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar," "Rum and Coca-Cola," and more. They recorded more than 400 songs and sold more than 80 million records, several of them going gold. The Andrews Sisters' rise coincided with the advent of swing music, and their style fit perfectly into the new craze. During breaks in their singing, they cavorted about the stage in rhythm to the music

Here they are in Abbott and Costello's Buck Privates.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
Re: Last Andrews Sisters sister dead.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
Sigh.
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
 :(

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
I saw that on CNN a little while ago....   :'(
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
I don't mean to make light of it, because seeing them on the old Abbott and Costello flicks is a great memory of my youth, but it was a case of "I didn't even know she was alive." 94, that's a good run.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »
You know it's funny. I just got the new entertainment weekly and it actually mentioned that the last Andrews Sister was dead. It was 12 words to just tell you. I was surprised to see it there at all because I find it hard to imagine that they know or care who that is. It must have been a slow week for death.
That's sad because they didn't give me enough information to figue out which one she was.