Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 5213 times)

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
:)
I have just joined and have been listening and collecting  OTR show for 15 years. My favorites are the SciFi, Mystery and Horror show such as X Minus One, The Whistler, Suspense, Escape, Lights Out, and Quiet Please. I also love The Jack Benny Program and The Great Gildersleave.

I wanted to see if any of you ScFi OTR fans can help me identify a show I heard last year on XM's Radio Classics channel. I don't remember the show title or the series. It might have been one of the SciFi anthology series like X-Minus One or Dimension X but I am not sure. Here is a synopsis of the story plot:
Aliens ,who are planning to invade earth, begin instructing small children to assist in their takeover by communicating to them through small plants, i.e flowers. Children all over the world are feed

Other than the plants part, it sounds exactly like a story Jim played here once or twice, where children are playing a game called "invasion" and the parents think it isn't real. Actually, the plants part is similar, not that they were communicating through them, but that the kids wold be playing outside in a garden or a park and, not seeing the aliens, the parents would think the kids were having an imaginary conversation. Can someone help with the name? Last time it came up on the forum I forgot it then too. And I think it is a Bradbury tale. If I am right, it is Zero Hour, heard here:
http://relicradio.com/otr/2012/06/sf209-four-stories-by-ray-bradbury/

(I can't listen from where I am, but I think it's the one.)
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
I think you are right with the title Zero Hour....kids waiting for the alien named "Drill" if I remember it right....and I think it took place in the future of the mid eighties!

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Welcome, Leroy!

Barry's right (as usual); that was Zero Hour. And as far as my memory serves me, Zero Hour was broadcast on both Escape and Suspense.
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
Welcome, Leroy!

Barry's right (as usual); that was Zero Hour. And as far as my memory serves me, Zero Hour was broadcast on both Escape and Suspense.
Right (although I believe it was actually x minus one or something), but one of the two versions was better by far, I don't remember which...
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
I think you are right with the title Zero Hour....kids waiting for the alien named "Drill" if I remember it right....and I think it took place in the future of the mid eighties!

Criswell was right!
"We are all interested in the future because that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives."
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Heather

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Heather and I am a huge fan of old time radio (just like everyone else here!).  Love all the relic radio shows - Jim is a great host  ;)

I've been trying to figure out (for years) an old time show that I can only remember very few details on - which makes it frustrating to find out what episode it is!  What I do recall is that it was more of a suspense type show that involved a yellow rickshaw.  I know, not very much to go on, but would be grateful if anyone remembers or knows what episode.  Thanks and glad to be a part of this forum!

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
Could it be Kipling's "The Phantom Rickshaw"?  I remember 'Favourite Story' did an adaptation of it...

Welcome to the forum!  :-)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:08:09 PM by Peter »

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »
Welcome aboard,  Heather  :)

I hope Peter's right, I thought about it, but all I could come up with was a Superman episode  :-/
----------

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Heather and I am a huge fan of old time radio (just like everyone else here!).  Love all the relic radio shows - Jim is a great host  ;)

I've been trying to figure out (for years) an old time show that I can only remember very few details on - which makes it frustrating to find out what episode it is!  What I do recall is that it was more of a suspense type show that involved a yellow rickshaw.  I know, not very much to go on, but would be grateful if anyone remembers or knows what episode.  Thanks and glad to be a part of this forum!

Welcome!  Welcome!!  :)

Peter's right...It's Phantom Rickshaw.  Here you go...

http://www.relicradio.com/otr/2010/04/st14-the-phantom-rickshaw-by-favorite-story/
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
We've got the finest investigators here  :)    It's a great place   :)
----------

Offline Heather

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Thank you for the welcome! 

And a huge thank you for coming up with a possible episode.  I am dowloading it now and am so thrilled that after years of looking I may have found it again!  You all are brilliant!!  (Thanks for posting a link too ;D)

Offline David

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

And a huge thank you for coming up with a possible episode.  I am dowloading it now and am so thrilled that after years of looking I may have found it again!  You all are brilliant!!  (Thanks for posting a link too ;D)

Welcome Heather ;D I'm David but you can call me David. Good to see new ppl here always.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »

Welcome Heather ;D I'm David but you can call me David. Good to see new ppl here always.

"David"... Hm. Sounds familiar....

Welcome to our rag-tag group, Heather!
JWPhoto.net

Offline HellHighWater

« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
Here's the requisite introductory post:

Hi, I'm Melissa, 20-something and from Atlanta. Grew up listening to old western shows on cassette tape with my grandfather. He was a trucker in his later years and was hooked on OTR. He passed on the obsession love to me.

Nowadays, I mostly listen to horror, suspense, and sci fi shows...Although, I am a giant fan of both Nero Wolfe and Candy Matson, so I listen to those shows repeatedly (something my husband once hated, but I've caught him answering his phone "Yukon 2-8209" once or twice.... ;D).

After months (and months) of listening to Relic Radio's podcasts, I've finally decided to join the forum. I look forward to geeking out on some OTR with fellow fans.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Melissa! You'll find our group of misfits quite entertaining :)
JWPhoto.net