Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
That'd be a relief, three meals a day and lots of spare time... right now, it sounds tempting  :-/
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
Hello, Jane here, Spokane Valley, Washington......I work all day listening to the great old shows on my iPod.  Blackmail material??  "You got nuttin' on me, copper, see?  I knows my rights"

WELCOME!!   ;D
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
ok, I'm Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadoo....nice to meet everyone.
----------

Offline MovieGal279

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
OK. Guess its my turn.... As my screen name suggests, I am a movie buff (I own over 2000 titles) who also loves to listen to OTR. I started listening when my Dad whould go to bed early (on those rare occasions) and turn on OTR. I fell in love when I first heard Orson Welles War Of The Worlds (as did so many of us I am sure  :) ). I decided that there was nothing else on the radio the first time I heard X Minus 1. I am a big one for "escapism" and think that radio gives a more complete version than any movie or TV ever could.

Oh, and BTW, I subscribe to Sirius satellite radio and have it tuned to classic radio all the time.

....now, time to start listening.....

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »
I am a big one for "escapism" and think that radio gives a more complete version than any movie or TV ever could.
I guess many here share your opinion - welcome  :)
----------

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
I am a big one for "escapism" and think that radio gives a more complete version than any movie or TV ever could.

I like to look at it as more of an ability to use your imagination unlike people today who can't visualize unless it is shown to them.
It has a certain romance to it that is kind of exciting... I could be wrong. I'm a little strange anyway.

Welcome MovieGal279!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
unlike people today who can't visualize unless it is shown to them
Most people today can't visualize even if it is shown to them   :(     I think imagination has never been so absent from people's souls as it is today...  That's why OTR is more important than it may seem, and I wish I could make everybody develop a passion for it.  I've never managed to get anybody interested, alas.
Sign of the times, as Prince used to sing.
----------

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
unlike people today who can't visualize unless it is shown to them
Most people today can't visualize even if it is shown to them   :(     I think imagination has never been so absent from people's souls as it is today...  That's why OTR is more important than it may seem, and I wish I could make everybody develop a passion for it.  I've never managed to get anybody interested, alas.
Sign of the times, as Prince used to sing.

Even the all-news station here in NYC has descended to the lowest common denominator. "News stories" are vapid sound bites with bad sounding AM music in the background. Once respected WINS is little more than the place to get traffic and weather, and I can say from years of experience that they either totally ignore major traffic events on the Belt Parkway or give incorrect traffic jam info that is hours out of date. They take any chance they can get to send their "Feature Reporter" to cover stories, which means that a hundred year old Andy Rooney type (John Montone) will interview people about semi-relevant things tangential to the news at hand as long as he can make puns about it.

About three years ago I actually spoke to a WINS reporter about getting a job there. They have one news writer and two reporters for all five boroughs.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
Even the news isn't what it used to be. we are a sad sad culture always giving up on the good stuff and going for the glitz: the bigger, the better, the faster, the more. I wonder what more there could be. After all, my mom tells me things that I don't know, and then says didn't you learn that in school? Well, no. The best I can say is that I know who Walter Kronkite is, and I never saw the Wide World of Sports. Damn. It's not my fault.  I feel really bad that when I watch the Olympics all I see is the top three placing athletes and team USA people. (I want to see everyone else - but the whole speed skating event is four hours and by the end I wanted to fall asleep.)

So yes I listen to Nero Wolfe, Escape, Suspense, The Mysterious Traveler and whatever else I can get my hands on. I need to listen to these things in my car on my break, or on my Ipod to drown out the laughing morons all around me. I've listened to them and they are not funny. That's when I wonder how the Saint would catch the person who killed them and left them in the bathroom. THAT's far more exciting.

That's WAYYYYY off track.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
OK. Guess its my turn.... As my screen name suggests, I am a movie buff (I own over 2000 titles) who also loves to listen to OTR. I started listening when my Dad whould go to bed early (on those rare occasions) and turn on OTR. I fell in love when I first heard Orson Welles War Of The Worlds (as did so many of us I am sure  :) ). I decided that there was nothing else on the radio the first time I heard X Minus 1. I am a big one for "escapism" and think that radio gives a more complete version than any movie or TV ever could.

Oh, and BTW, I subscribe to Sirius satellite radio and have it tuned to classic radio all the time.

....now, time to start listening.....

Welcome to the forum!!  And, yes, whenever I can wrench my Jeep away from my husband, I'm ALWAYS on the Sirius OTR channel.  When I've snagged his car (without satellite), I plug my iPhone into the stereo input and listen to Jim's podcasts through that.  Either way, my shows go with me everywhere.

And, I know for me, War of the Worlds was my intro into OTR, and I couldn't have started with a better show!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline David

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

I like to look at it as more of an ability to use your imagination unlike people today who can't visualize unless it is shown to them.
It has a certain romance to it that is kind of exciting... I could be wrong. I'm a little strange anyway.

Welcome MovieGal279!

I kind of get a little perturbed at people when I have it on and they ask me why I am listening to it.

I like what Drew Barrymore had to say while co hosting with Robert Osbourne about the older days of Hollywood " You had to have talent back in those days" She said it a little different but she made her point.

If you watch the movies from the 40's / 50's they weren't  just good looking like today, most could sing / dance or play an instrument better than most entertainers today.

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

Welcome MovieGal279!

I kind of get a little perturbed at people when I have it on and they ask me why I am listening to it.

I like what Drew Barrymore had to say while co hosting with Robert Osbourne about the older days of Hollywood " You had to have talent back in those days" She said it a little different but she made her point.

If you watch the movies from the 40's / 50's they weren't  just good looking like today, most could sing / dance or play an instrument better than most entertainers today.

You're right, David. By today's standards all you have to do is be "pretty" (which is very subjective: it really means "thin") and take off your clothes and they give you an Oscar!  Back in those days they made you work for it. It makes you miss the "crazy" ones like Judy Garland. Even Elisabeth Taylor. Who cares how many husbands she had. That lady had talent!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
In many cases, you don't even have to be pretty - computers can fix that, too...
----------

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »
In many cases, you don't even have to be pretty - computers can fix that, too...

I mean, look at me!   ;)

There ain't a computer BIG enough in the world...

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
I mean, look at me!   ;)

There ain't a computer BIG enough in the world...
You forget this

----------