Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »
If I haven't said so already, welcome to the forum Cbs!  Glad to have you here and glad to see someone else from across the pond.   :D
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline wednesday

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »
I stick around for the budding Canada/Italy War.
DON'T MENTION THE WAR!
I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.
-Phillip Marlowe

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
I stick around for the budding Canada/Italy War.
DON'T MENTION THE WAR!

I forgot, not everyone can handle war.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
Welcome, Cbs! Glad to have you here!

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 04:07:46 AM »
Hello all. I'm Katheryne, and I decided to post after reading all your comments to each other. I've always felt slightly strange around other people because I know lots of stuff about lots of things (the more unusual the better) and  I insist upon sharing this knowledge with others. I have made the long unnecessary tangent an art form... Too bad I know of no one that appreciates it.
I don't care though. It just means I laugh out loud to myself a lot.
When I was a kid my dad was a big fan of otr, and the first experience I recall was riding home in the middle of the night listening to The Shadow (an episode called "Death Prowls At Night"). It was dark, and I was terrified, and none of my brothers seemed interested. That's what started it for me.
Now as an adult I listen to lots of different shows but I lean toward the mysteries. I still love the Shadow, but I can't listen to it in the car on the way home -- not in the dark anyway.  Some of these stories I've heard a thousand times, and they still freak me out. I think with the Shadow it's the music.
You know, everything I just said sounds really lame.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
Absolute nonsense! If there's anyone here who sounds really lame, it's definitely Jake. Oh wait, that's me...

Welcome to the forums from a fellow mystery lover!
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
Tangents?  Mysteries?  Scared of the Dark?  You're going to fit in here juuuuust fine.   ;)

You're probably charming, intelligent and good-looking too.  We tend to attract people like that. 

Right guys?

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Tangents?  Mysteries?  Scared of the Dark?  You're going to fit in here juuuuust fine.   ;)

You're probably charming, intelligent and good-looking too.  We tend to attract people like that. 

Right guys?

Whatever Peter says....

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
I have made the long unnecessary tangent an art form...

Welcome home Katheryne.  ;)

I love The Shadow too and love to talk about it.
In fact, if you are interested, I did just that: http://otrbuffet.blogspot.com/2012/01/interterview-with-barry-about-welles.html

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
Tangents?  Mysteries?  Scared of the Dark?  You're going to fit in here just fine.   ;)

Right guys?

Whatever Peter says....

I can get completely behind what Peter says!  :D

And Thank you Barry! I do kind of feel like I'm being welcomed Home, strange as that is to say.
I also spent a little time and read your blog. It's not bad at all, but for some reason Orson Welles always rubbed me the
wrong way. It's proably because he wasn't the first voice I heard so he suffered by comparison, but I prefer to think it was because he
laugh wasn't nearly as creepy to me. It was kind of bad actually, but he did master the bored rich playboy sound, as much as I know what a bored rich playboy sounds like which is not at all.
I really like Agnes Moorehead, and though they had great compatibility I thought she did better on her own. The Suspense episodes she did were amazing. She could really get you to the edge of your chair especially in Sorry, Wrong Number. I didn't care for the film which I wanted them to kill Susan Hayward by the end.
Well, I didn't rant on with that very long, but I did come on and say Hey- you're great, but I totally disagree with you.
That never goes over well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:42:27 AM by hoppus63 »

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
Ouch, the forum didn't notify me of the replies...  welcome to all the new members!!   :)
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
Tangents?  Mysteries?  Scared of the Dark?  You're going to fit in here just fine.   ;)

Right guys?

Whatever Peter says....

And Thank you Barry! I do kind of feel like I'm being welcomed Home, strange as that is to say.
I also spent a little time and read your blog. It's not bad at all, but for some reason Orson Welles always rubbed me the
wrong way. It's proably because he wasn't the first voice I heard so he suffered by comparison, but I prefer to think it was because he
laugh wasn't nearly as creepy to me. It was kind of bad actually, but he did master the bored rich playboy sound, as much as I know what a bored rich playboy sounds like which is not at all.
I really like Agnes Moorehead, and though they had great compatibility I thought she did better on her own. The Suspense episodes she did were amazing. She could really get you to the edge of your chair especially in Sorry, Wrong Number. I didn't care for the film which I wanted them to kill Susan Hayward by the end.
Well, I didn't rant on with that very long, but I did come on and say Hey- you're great, but I totally disagree with you.

I actually heard recently that they had to bring another actor in to do the creepy Shadow laugh because Orson Wells just couldn't get it right.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »
I actually heard recently that they had to bring another actor in to do the creepy Shadow laugh because Orson Wells just couldn't get it right.

I'd heard that story for years as well, though I've recently read that Orson could do it but it wasn't the same. On some episodes you hear it as sort of a sinister snicker. It was theorized that the laugh used was Frank Readick's, to keep the same sound as the previous version of The Shadow, where he was just a narrator. Beats me which is true.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »

Right guys?

::wink wink::

Right guys?

Whatever Peter says....

I saw the film first, with Barbara Stanwyck as the helpless woman and thought it was fabulous. I listened to the Moorehead version later, well the earliest recording anyway and enjoyed that as well. I like both actresses immensely so it is hard to pick which on I like the most. It is a bit like saying whether I like Bette Davis or Joan Crawford more....just too close.