Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
Introduce yourself
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
As Janece suggested, here is a thread where all the new kids on the block can introduce themselves and give some useful information that we can use to blackmai... er... to know them better.
So don't be shy and tell us about yourselves   :)

(the old kids have already described themselves time and time again, but that doesn't mean they can't do it again, so feel free)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:44:48 PM by Mac of BIOnighT »
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »
Either I'm the first to reply, or my page isn't updating.  Either way...guess I'll start since Mac's gonna blame this thread on me anyway...   ::)

<stands up> I'm Janece and I'm an OTR-aholic.  :)

I live in Memphis (yes, I'm an Elvis fan) and I'm married with a toddler and a dog.  I love old movies, horror movies and westerns.  My fave OTR shows are Lights Out, Quiet Please, Suspense, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel and Creeping Door/Inner Sanctum.  A few of us have been around for several incarnations of the forum, and we have found a great community here and love seeing the new "faces."  If you are new, WELCOME!  Please provide a little info, so that we can hold it against you later....OOPS!  I mean, so that we can get to know you better.   8)
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline ZekeB

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
Greetings....This is Zeke from Orange, CA.  My Dad started calling me Zeke when I was in the second grade.  I read a story out loud to him called "Zeke and His Saw".  He thought that Zeke was such a funny name that is has stuck as a nickname for the last 50 years.  It was my dad who introduced me to Old Time Radio back in the mid 60's.  We listened to an episode of "Fibber McGee and Molly" one night, and I have been hooked ever since.  I particluarly like science fiction and westerns.  I like to walk and hike for exercise.  OTR podcasts have become my constant companion while I'm out on the trail.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
Welcome, ZekeB!!  :)  Glad to have you here!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
Welcome ZekeB!    :)

(Both to myself and to the other members:  let's be honest, we do have a very slight tendency to get off topic, but I suggest we keep this thread uncluttered so that it can really be used for the new members to have an idea of who we are and for us to know them better.  After writing about yourselves here, though, please open another thread and let's all go wildly off topic before I go nuts)

OK, my turn:

<stands up> I'm Mac and I'm an OTR-aholic.  But I can quit whenever I want.
I'm Italian and yes, the only Italian  who listens to OTR and probably the only one who knows what it is, for that matter. This kind of entertainment never existed here, so I'm glad the internet exists and there are places like this where one can meet like-minded listeners.   Actually, I discovered OTR thanks to Jim's Relic Radio   :)

I'm an electronic musician -  NOT in the horrible, devastatingly wrong modern sense of this definition (please visit  www.macvibes.com  and http://www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/ , should you be interested).
My other passions include photography, old movie serials, old (70's/80's) Japanese anime, music of all kinds and genres, some computer graphics, watching darts matches (BDO especially, my idol is the Silverback), old movies (cinema died after the 70's, with all due exceptions), and more stuff I forget right now.

----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
Hi Guys!

Like Zeke, my Dad introduced me to OTR  while I was growing up in the eighties.  There's a radio station in my home town (Calgary, Canada) that played (and still plays!) OTR shows from 11:00pm - 1:00am every night, 7 days a week, and Dad got me hooked on them by the time I was 13 or so. 

I'm a full-time actor and recently started producing a series of live radio plays & podcasts called "Radio Project X" (www.radioprojectX.com).  I've been listening to Relic Radio since 2009 and  live in Canada with a sleeveful of pet rats and my wife, who occasionally pops up here on the forum as 'Miss Kitty'.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Barry, though sometimes I go by bmj2k. I'm really not sure why. I showed up here by mistake one day. I thought I could learn how to repair old time radios. I stick around for the budding Canada/Italy War. You can find examples of my fine art replicas, mostly the Old Masters (I am HUGE Renoir fan!) but some more modern interpretations of various New Age genres at my virtual museum, www.bmj2k.com I was once featured on the cover of the New York Times magazine, though that may have been a prank played on me by Manti Teʻo. I'm still getting the hang of this Old Time Radio stuff, although this site has a serious lack of The Bill Stern Sports Reel. Now that was a real man's show.

Is this OK Mac?
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline ZekeB

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone.  I appreciate it!  :)

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »
See, going off topic is what I'm good at....Anyway, I am Meow?I have an unhealthy obsession with the feline kind, although not enough that I have more than one. When I get an interest in something I become a bit obsessive about it, but not in a horror movie type way. I enjoy books (favorite genres: sci-fi/noir), movies, music (jazz /eletronic mostly) and OTR. When I get hooked on an author or director or even actor I get everything they have done and check it out. Currently, I keep buying sci-fi series and downloading podcasts. It's a good thing I don't sleep much otherwise I wouldn't get anything done.

As far as work, I am a part-time cashier with illusions of being a writer (if I can actually finish something!) I am toying with going back to school, but I really need a mental break. We'll see what develops, yes? 

And welcome any newbies to the board. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:02:41 AM by Meow? »

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
Welcome Zeke.

My name is David, my dad started calling me that because that is what they decided on naming me when I was conceived ;D. I'm into all sorts of OTR my favorite is CBSRMT. I'm also into Talk radio like coast to coast AM with George Noory and I still listen to the old Art Bell replays.

I like to watch old films and a variety of different shows like mystery at the museum on the travel channel...Basically anything that has to do with history / antiques and the paranormal but NEVER again will I watch the karate kid marathons on AMC... that will give you bad dreams.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
Greetings to all and a welcome to Zeke!

Where to start? I am a happily addicted OTR addict and have been one for over ten years now (I'm 23). My mom introduced me to old time radio when she bought a cassette of The Shadow to play in the van to keep me and my six siblings quiet while running errands; quite an impulse purchase, but a life-changer for me. Since then, I've traded and collected over 2,000 episodes with folks from Europe, Africa, Australia, and here in America, and nothing is more fun. As for other hobbies, I'm a tech nerd, photographer, and writer, and I'm claustrophobic.  ::)

As for everything else, I still live with my parents and siblings (waiting for the rent situation to get better), one beef steer, three sheep, one goat named Laura, two rabbits, a few brainless chickens, seven cats, one collie with an inferiority complex, and a ram (male sheep) named Abe. I work as an electronics sales associate while moonlighting as a journalism student in my old hometown of Milwaukee.

And I enjoy a beer from time to time.
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
Welcome Zeke. It's good to read everyone's bio here, even though I've probably read them in the past, it's nice to get a refresher. My name is Matt Cowan. I'm a huge fan of horror. I listen to Jim's The Horror, Strange Tales, Relic Radio hour, and sometimes Thrillers. My favorite writers are Ramsey Campbell, M.R. James, William Hope Hodgson, and E.F.Benson.

I write a month blog for Jim's Vintage Horror site looking at the short stories of several classic horror writers along with the occasional new novel or sidetrack. I also write short horror stories of my own, a few having appeared in various anthologies.

In my regular job I work for my local water utility reading meters, doing service and testing meters. I live in Indiana with my wonderful wife Lynne and stepson Brett.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Modest Matt left out the link:
http://vintagehorror.com/
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »
Thanks, Barry! I forgot to add that.

Offline Cbs

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »
Morning everyone - I'm enjoying reading about all of you  :)  I live in Birmingham with my husband and my 2 sons - my oldest son goes to University in London so we see him at the holidays - I miss him  :'(  But I keep very busy - I work long hours - I'm a Head teacher of a secondary school - (Principal Skinner for older kids   :o ) and when I get a break I love reading - murder mysteries for relaxation - poetry for pleasure. I love M.R. James and E.F. Benson too and old movies - do you think there's a common theme there? I love going to live music when I can - I saw Paul Simon in Hyde Park last summer and have tickets for Elvis Costello soon (yippee!) We have 2 cats - I'm potty about them and they run the house.