Author Topic: Happy 2013!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Cbs

Re: Happy 2013!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 03:05:18 AM »
Hi there - When I was a girl I used to listen to recordings of books with my gran who had become blind and unable to read anymore - and I loved the whole treat of just listening to a story well told. Later when I lived in London a friend gave me Lake Wobegon Days to read - We even went to see Garrison Keillor's show in London and I've been a fan ever since - I found the podcast of his show & started to see what else was out there - I hit gold when I found Relic Radio - All these great recordings - they are wonderful in so many ways - the stories! I'm a fan of ghost stories - writer's like M. R. James - so the stories in 'The horror' are fabulous. So sorry - long rambling answer!

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 04:31:36 AM »
Hi and welcome! If you love MR James then this should be right up your alley.
http://vintagehorror.com/2012/07/m-r-james-grandmaster-of-ghost-stories/
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
Hey, somebody else from Europe, cool!  I was beginning to feel badly outnumbered here...  Welcome CBS  :)

(no, Peter, Canada is NOT in Europe, I've told a hundred times already...)
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »

But look how I spell "colour"!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

Oh, that's true!  I didn't consider that...  you might be right, then     
Hey, wait aminute, come to think of it, there's a hole in your theory:  I'm from Europe, but I spell it "color" and I even say "eggplant," "elevator," "sidewalk," and "diaper"...   I'm afraid the evidence you submitted is not enough, sorry.
----------

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

Oh, that's true!  I didn't consider that...  you might be right, then     
Hey, wait aminute, come to think of it, there's a hole in your theory:  I'm from Europe, but I spell it "color" and I even say "eggplant," "elevator," "sidewalk," and "diaper"...   I'm afraid the evidence you submitted is not enough, sorry.

What this forum needs is a cartographer.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
A European cartographer, one from Chicago or one of the other cities in California, such as Bombay, perhaps.
----------

Offline Cbs

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
Hello all - how did you all get into Relic Radio?

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »

Hi Cbs. I was always a fan of OTR, then I found some podcasts on iTunes but Relic Radio's were by far the best- always updated, never begging for spare change, and a great community behind it too.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
A radio station in my home town plays 2 hours of oldtime radio plays every night.  When  I moved away in 2000, I missed them terribly and only had a few episodes on cassette.  What a relief when podcasting came along!  I tried listening online on others sites but I found them to be disorganized, mis-titled, and filled with irritating commercials.  I stumbled on a link to the Relic Radio Forum when I was searching for the title of an episode of Escape (it was 'Evening Primrose' - thanks again, Jim!).  I quickly fell in love with the warm personalities here, and started listening to Jim's shows.  They're the best on the web as far as I'm concerned!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Here in Italy OTR never existed (I do have a hard time trying to explain what it is, all I get after half an hour of descriptions and comparisons is a blank stare and a not particularly bright-looking expression...).   Except for the famous War of the Worlds, I had never heard of it myself - and everybody here thinks that was some kind of one-off prank or something.

Four or five years ago (could be more, could be less, my memory sucks) I came down with a bad flu.  As a way to distract myself while feverish, I started jumping from link to link through the internet, with no aim or destination (and with a very hazy brain, which helped serendipity do its job).   At one point I stumbled across Relic Radio, downloaded several episodes and fell madly in love with both OTR and Jim's shows   :)
----------

Offline Cbs

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »
Where in Italy do you live and how come you are so fluent in English?

Offline Cbs

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »
A radio station in my home town plays 2 hours of oldtime radio plays every night.  When  I moved away in 2000, I missed them terribly and only had a few episodes on cassette.  What a relief when podcasting came along!  I tried listening online on others sites but I found them to be disorganized, mis-titled, and filled with irritating commercials.  I stumbled on a link to the Relic Radio Forum when I was searching for the title of an episode of Escape (it was 'Evening Primrose' - thanks again, Jim!).  I quickly fell in love with the warm personalities here, and started listening to Jim's shows.  They're the best on the web as far as I'm concerned!

I listen to 'The Horror' mostly - what else would do recommend?

Offline Cbs

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »

Hi Cbs. I was always a fan of OTR, then I found some podcasts on iTunes but Relic Radio's were by far the best- always updated, never begging for spare change, and a great community behind it too.

What got you into OTR in the first place? Do many radio stations play old recordings in the US?

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:11 PM »
It was my Dad. He listened to them and passed the love onto me. I found some stations that played OTR and the found places (this was the late 70's early 80's, pre-internet) that sold old shows on cassette. Dad also took me to an OTR convention where I got a lot of shows, memorabilia, and knowledge of radio. One big influence was when I heard on the radio the NPR radio version of Star Wars. I am also old enough to have heard CBS Radio Theater when it was first run. There are a few stations that play OTR here but two that I listen to come out of Canada.