Author Topic: Help identifying an episode...  (Read 534 times)

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
Help identifying an episode...
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Another one that sounds familiar, but I just can't place.

...a story (seemingly contemporary - as in 1960's on) I heard on a relic radio podcast about two couples visiting a country house at Christmas and strange things begin to happen - the turkey is terribly spicy and inedible, the wine tastes like blood to one person, and ultimately they can't escape the cottage. They soon discover that a woman and her children died of starvation in the cottage many years before...

Sound familiar to anyone? 

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
Re: Help identifying an episode...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
I don't recognize it but I'd love to hear it.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
I don't recognize it but I'd love to hear it.

I would also give that a listen, but I can't help you on a title. It seems like an episode I'd remember.

Offline sosomoto

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
I actually emailed  relicradio about this episode and am so grateful that it was posted on the forum... one aspect I failed to mention is that the actors sounded British... There is an undertone of tension surrounding one of the liberal couples coming into money and buying this cottage.  It seems like it may be the same group that produced 'Green and Pleasant", "Survival" and "Soul Searching". Maybe that will help... I'd love to know and hear it again!
sosomoto

Offline Nancy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »
Oh oh oh--I remember it.  I was cleaning some bird pens when it was on.  It was very good.  I remember--very wealthy couple with another visiting couple.   Something about how much they had to pay for the cottage and how much money they had.  The wife drank the wine and complained there was something wrong with it.  I think they were all trapped in the house and starved to death.  Whomever owned it way back when were peasants and were starved by the the aristocracy.  Or something like that.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
one aspect I failed to mention is that the actors sounded British

Could be an episode of The Creaking Door
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:24:05 AM »
Another one that sounds familiar, but I just can't place.

...a story (seemingly contemporary - as in 1960's on) I heard on a relic radio podcast about two couples visiting a country house at Christmas and strange things begin to happen - the turkey is terribly spicy and inedible, the wine tastes like blood to one person, and ultimately they can't escape the cottage. They soon discover that a woman and her children died of starvation in the cottage many years before...

Sound familiar to anyone?

If it's seemingly contemporary, I wonder if it could be an episode of CBSRMT?
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
I don't recall this episode, but it also sounds like a plot I'd expect from 'Price of Fear'.

Offline Nancy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
I think it was on Strange Tales.
Maybe there was more than 2 couples.  I seem to remember the house would not let them out.

Offline sosomoto

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Nancy definitely has heard it!!!! Only it was a man that thought the wine was blood, at Christmas time (the wife of the cottage owning couple begins playing a melody that she's never heard before on the piano that upsets her terribly and goes upstairs to lie down only to find the corpse of a child on the bed upstairs with its 'milk teeth' still apparent, she eventually becomes 'possessed' by the spirit woman who died with her children in the house and tells the story of their demise - another few possible clues to jog the memory... ) and it was for sure contemporary British. Perhaps it one of the series that begin with a man speaking with an English accent saying "You're listening to Horror Old Time Radio" and then this ethereal John Williams type music (think space ship opening scene in Close Encounters) starts up...  I think I may have heard it on Tales of Horror at least twice in the last 3 years.  Too contemporary sounding to be Price of Fear if that helps.  Maybe Creaking Door... I've done all sorts of searches but come up with nothing.  I've had way too much time to think about this. Hope I'm not annoying everyone...

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:24:04 AM »
Nancy definitely has heard it!!!! Only it was a man that thought the wine was blood, at Christmas time (the wife of the cottage owning couple begins playing a melody that she's never heard before on the piano that upsets her terribly and goes upstairs to lie down only to find the corpse of a child on the bed upstairs with its 'milk teeth' still apparent, she eventually becomes 'possessed' by the spirit woman who died with her children in the house and tells the story of their demise - another few possible clues to jog the memory... ) and it was for sure contemporary British. Perhaps it one of the series that begin with a man speaking with an English accent saying "You're listening to Horror Old Time Radio" and then this ethereal John Williams type music (think space ship opening scene in Close Encounters) starts up...  I think I may have heard it on Tales of Horror at least twice in the last 3 years.  Too contemporary sounding to be Price of Fear if that helps.  Maybe Creaking Door... I've done all sorts of searches but come up with nothing.  I've had way too much time to think about this. Hope I'm not annoying everyone...

Maybe an episode of Fear on Four?
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline sosomoto

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
I just looked through the Fear on Four archive but I'm sure it wasn't complete... it very well could be one of theirs!!! Wish the title would come to me... I've searched all the various OTR horror series' to try to find the episode and simply can't, even though I've heard it at least twice. Bizarre! Thanks for the continued help!

Offline T. Baker

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
I remember the show , and I found a copy of it - but it's not a very good copy.

I found out what it was! It was a British series called "Ghost Story"and the episode in question is called "The Exorcism"
According to what little information I have it aired on one of the BBC Radio stations - that's all of the information I have about this show. Sorry I couldn't get more information about it.

See if this is the story here:
http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/listen/12808/Drama_British_Shows_2/British_Shows_2/Ghost_Story_The_Exorcism.html

PS: I noticed that you original post was back in December, but since I wasn't here to help you then, I hope it will still be of use to you.

Since the last time I updated this, I found out more about the author and story. The Exorcism was written by Don Taylor. He passed away in 2003. The information about him (from his obituary from the British Theatre Guide)  is this:

Don Taylor

Writer and director Don Taylor has died after a long battle against cancer. Best known as the writer of The Roses of Eyam, a play telling how the villagers of Eyam in Derbyshire shut themselves off from the outside world when they discovered the plague amongst them and so prevented it spreading to near-by communities, a play which is now a GCSE set text, he worked in both television and theatre.

His most recent work was The Road to the Sea at Richmond's Orange Tree Theatre from 19th February to 15th March this year, the theatre in which his Women of Troy, his version of Euripides' The Trojan Women, played in 2001. The first professional production of any of his plays onstage was in 1967, when the Edinburgh Traverse premiered Grounds for Marriage. This was followed by Sisters (1968) at the Northcott, Exeter, and Sam Foster Comes Home (1969) at the Glasgow Citizen's Theatre.

His writing for television included The Theban Plays (1984) (Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonnus and Antigone), When the Actors Come (1978), a BBC2 Play of the Week, and A Last Visitor for Mr Hugh Peter (1981). He both wrote and directed these, and also directed Find Me (Omnibus, 1974); For Tea On Sunday (1978), another Play of the Week; In Hiding (1980), for BBC2 Playhouse; The Crucible (1980) and Two Gentlemen of Verona (1983). A stage version of Oedipus the King was produced by the National Youth Theatre in 1998.

He was also the author of Directing Plays.

He began his career in 1960 when he joined the BBC and worked almost exclusively over the next four years with NJ Crisp, David Turner, Hugh Whitmore, and David Mercer. In 1963 there were major artictic differences between him and the newly appointed Head of Drama Sydney Newman and left when his contract expired. He returned as a freelance director in 1964 and 1965, after which he claimed he was blacklisted by the BBC Drama department and it was not until 1972 that he again returned to direct his own plays The Exorcism and, the following year, The Roses of Eyam.

He worked for the independent station ATV in 1974 and 1976.

You can find out more on this link from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Taylor_%28director%29

A version of this story (The Exorcism) was included in part of the TV series "Dead of Night" (1972). The first radio broadcast of the story was in done in 1992 and this is also available as a play.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:49:35 PM by T. Baker »
There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.
old English proverb

Offline sosomoto

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Oh my god!!! Thank you soooo much. I thought I lost this email and was so sad I a) didn't get to thank you, b) didn't copy the link.
So excited to listen to this!!!!
sosomoto

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
It sounded so familiar, but I was in the "Price of Fear" bandwagon...

Welcome, Sosomoto, and welcome back NANCY!!!!!
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!