Author Topic: How I have my OTR arranged . . .  (Read 209 times)

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
How I have my OTR arranged . . .
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
I subscribe to several OTR podcasts, and download them through iTunes.  How I have mine organized is through the smart playlists--I have a smart playlist for each show title (e.g. Suspense, Fibber McGee and Molly, Dragnet, etc.) and have my episodes arranged in date order.  I have been trying to listen to each show chronologically so that I can get a sense of how the show changed over its run.  I just finished listening to a list of Escape! episodes and now I am going through The Falcon.  Coming up soon will be Fibber McGee and Molly.   I play mine mostly in the car.  I live in the Atlanta area and do a lot of driving (and sometimes, a lot of waiting in traffic.   >:( )

Do any of you have your podcasts organized, or do you just enjoy listening to each one as it downloads or comes up on the stream you're listening to?
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline David

Re: How I have my OTR arranged . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:48:39 PM »
I subscribe to several OTR podcasts, and download them through iTunes.  How I have mine organized is through the smart playlists--I have a smart playlist for each show title (e.g. Suspense, Fibber McGee and Molly, Dragnet, etc.) and have my episodes arranged in date order.  I have been trying to listen to each show chronologically so that I can get a sense of how the show changed over its run.  I just finished listening to a list of Escape! episodes and now I am going through The Falcon.  Coming up soon will be Fibber McGee and Molly.   I play mine mostly in the car.  I live in the Atlanta area and do a lot of driving (and sometimes, a lot of waiting in traffic.   >:( )

Do any of you have your podcasts organized, or do you just enjoy listening to each one as it downloads or comes up on the stream you're listening to?

Lol! I had a doctors appointment down town Atlanta I was on peach tree my doctors office was about 200 feet away but i was in the wrong lane it took me an hour to get there. I miss Georgia but you're rite the traffic sucked. I moved from Roswell GA to Odenville Alabama on Talladaga weekend (Nascar) it took me longer to get through Atlanta traffic than it did the NASCAR traffic.

I heard NY has the worst traffic if it is anything like Atlanta they can keep it.

I have mine in categories I use win media I rarely listen during the day usually at bedtime. It's getting to where I hear the Relic Radio intro and I start yawning.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
I use iTunes also, so I have them all separated by the show name.  Within the show itself, I have them in order by the date downloaded, with the most recent on top.  I don't allow my iPhone to sync automatically so that I can manually add shows, podcasts, movies, pics, etc.  I have a lot of "faves" that I never like to pull off my phone, but I like to make sure I get the new ones too.  That's why you won't hear me make a lot of requests to Jim because usually I still have the show, even if he played it a couple of years ago.  I go through the lists and remove the shows I don't care for and try to keep the duplicates to a minimum.  I can't enjoy listening to my shows if they're not organized in some sort of way.

I sit at my desk and listen to the shows with my ear-buds while I reconcile customer's accounts.   ::)
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
If it is a podcast they are arranged by date on a playlist. If it is a show it is arranged by air date (and when I listen to a show I just concentrate on the one show, which at last check was Our Miss Brooks.) I like to listen to things chronologically, and sometimes I just don't watch a show if I miss an episode, and I won't until I catch up. This explains how things pile up but this is one of my many odd illogical obsessive compulsions that I have. 

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
I am now the proud owner of an iPad 2, so I hope Apple's Podcast App lives up to the hype, because it'll become my first go to device for podcasts...
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
DON'T DO IT, JAKE!

The app is HORRIBLE!!  It's ruined podcasts for me, and once you download it you can't get rid of it!

With the app I can no longer organize episodes into a playlist or any other order of my choosing.  It uses well over double the battery power, and can't seem to play under many of my game apps without causing the games to crash.

In my (very strong) opinion, it's a completely unnecessary, clunky, thoughtless, innovation on a system that needed little or no improvement!

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
Wow.
JWPhoto.net

Offline allyn211

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 04:53:04 AM »
If it is a podcast they are arranged by date on a playlist. If it is a show it is arranged by air date (and when I listen to a show I just concentrate on the one show, which at last check was Our Miss Brooks.) I like to listen to things chronologically, and sometimes I just don't watch a show if I miss an episode, and I won't until I catch up. This explains how things pile up but this is one of my many odd illogical obsessive compulsions that I have.

That sounds a little like what I do.
Tina

Offline allyn211

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:56:11 AM »
DON'T DO IT, JAKE!

The app is HORRIBLE!!  It's ruined podcasts for me, and once you download it you can't get rid of it!

With the app I can no longer organize episodes into a playlist or any other order of my choosing.  It uses well over double the battery power, and can't seem to play under many of my game apps without causing the games to crash.

In my (very strong) opinion, it's a completely unnecessary, clunky, thoughtless, innovation on a system that needed little or no improvement!

I had to delete the podcast app and go back to using the music app for my podcasts.
Tina

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
DON'T DO IT, JAKE!

I had to delete the podcast app and go back to using the music app for my podcasts.

I deleted the podcast app also.  I even went to the boards on Apple's site because it would begin playing music or a podcast automatically after hanging up a call.  Very annoying in the cubicle world I work in.  Finally deleted the app, re-synced with my laptop, rebooted the phone, and that's when I got all my podcasts back into my iTunes app.  Back to organizing thru iTunes, and just the way it was before that awful app.  I work waaaaaaaaaay too close to the Mississippi River to have my phone acting like that.  If I didn't throw like a girl, I could have hit the river with it from my building's roof.   :o
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
I am apparently the only one who doesn't have that contraption.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »
I can delete the app?

You all may have just made. my. day.  ;D
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Once you delete the app, I checked my Music app on my iPad and the "Podcast" section is back in there. Yay!
JWPhoto.net