Author Topic: Hello, I am new here . . .  (Read 178 times)

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
Hello, I am new here . . .
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
I have been listening to the Relic Radio downloads for several years now, and now I'm taking the plunge and joining the forum.  My name is Tina and I listen to OTR mainly because I get tired of the junk that is out there!  Between Relic Radio and other places, I have over 9,000 podcast episodes to listen to.  So many episodes, so little time . . .   ;)
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
Re: Hello, I am new here . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
Hi Tina!

So glad you've decided to join us on the forums!  I like your signature - is Inner Sanctum your favourite series?

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
Welcome. I have the same feeling on the podcasts.

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tina. I see you're a Himan Brown fan. Me too.

During a span of 65 years, Himan Brown produced more than 30,000 radio programs, including The Adventures of the Thin Man, The Affairs of Peter Salem, Bulldog Drummond, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, City Desk, Dick Tracy, Flash Gordon, The General Mills Radio Adventure Theater, Grand Central Station, Green Valley, USA, The Gumps, Inner Sanctum Mysteries, Joyce Jordan, M.D., Marie, the Little French Princess, The NBC Radio Theater, The Private Files of Rex Saunders, Terry and the Pirates and numerous daytime soap operas. In 1951-55 he directed the NBC detective drama, Barrie Craig, Confidential Investigator, and he directed many episodes of shows he produced.

Offline allyn211

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Hi Tina!

So glad you've decided to join us on the forums!  I like your signature - is Inner Sanctum your favourite series?

I actually think Suspense is my favorite, along with Dragnet and Fibber McGee and Molly.  But I liked the ending line from Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT! :-)
Tina

Offline allyn211

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Welcome. I have the same feeling on the podcasts.

I have actually learned more about society from the '30's, '40's and '50's by hearing the original commercials and PSA's in OTR broadcasts than I could learn from a textbook.  Plus, some of the references in some of the comedy shows give a good window into society of that time.  For example, there was an Abbott and Costello routine that referred to butter being locked in a bank vault.  :)
Tina

Offline Peter

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
I have actually learned more about society from the '30's, '40's and '50's by hearing the original commercials and PSA's in OTR broadcasts than I could learn from a textbook.  Plus, some of the references in some of the comedy shows give a good window into society of that time.  For example, there was an Abbott and Costello routine that referred to butter being locked in a bank vault.  :)

I know what you mean!  I heard an Inner Sanctum recently where Raymond joked about killing someone for their Ration Stamps... I was kind of shocked.  My sister works with families of Autistic kids... I think using the Lovaas Method.

Offline allyn211

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

I know what you mean!  I heard an Inner Sanctum recently where Raymond joked about killing someone for their Ration Stamps... I was kind of shocked.  My sister works with families of Autistic kids... I think using the Lovaas Method.

When I mention my son, I'm amazed at how many people say, "Oh I know someone who has/works with kids with autism," or who knows someone who knows someone who . . . The statistics are 1 in 88 now of people having some form of autism.
Tina

Offline Peter

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
I feel like that percentage must be increasing!  Like you, I find more and more people are having their lives directly touched by Autism.  I just closed a play last month where I was playing someone with it... the whole experience was a very interesting one - I wish I'd had more time with it.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »
Hello and welcome!
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror