Author Topic: Photographic/musical project about abandoned factories - first video  (Read 303 times)

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
I think I mentioned this in the old forum...   anyway,  just to share, here's a new project by my uncle and me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNYLNh4gSo&feature=youtu.be

Copy-and-paste from the youtube page:

"In November 2012, photographer Domenico "Sem" Semeraro and I started a project that involves locating and visiting abandoned factories in our area and turn our impressions into photographs and music. He will document what we'll see through a number of photos and I'm going to compose and record a musical piece for each place we will visit. This will eventually become some sort of multimedia experience, and this video by Sem is the first result. Also, all the musical pieces will be collected into a free download album (downloadable from my website, just like all my other works).

Due to lack of funds and interest, these dilapidated buildings are left to decay (with very few notable exceptions) as opposed to being restored and transformed into something useful for the community. Here in Italy we have some of the greatest monuments and art pieces in the world, still a lot (most?) of them are left to the ravages of time and no money is invested to prevent irreparable damage from happening. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that no effort is made to get something useful out of these buildings; yet, I'm struck by the fact that nobody even tries.

A few words from Sem:
"This video portrays a small abandoned factory in Varesotto (the area we live in), one of the many that have unfortunately been forced to shut down by the current tough financial situation. The few that are still active are having a hard time finding enough work to survive. Through this video we want to show the dilapidated condition of this and other similar buildings no useful purpose can be found for. Since most of them were built in small towns that don't have the necessary funds to turn them into something else, they will simply crumble down, slowly but inevitably."

I think his pictures tell the whole story clearly."
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline David

Re: Photographic/musical project about abandoned factories - first video
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
Nice video. Mac take a look at where I grew up. Your video has inspired me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT_g_n61gY
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:52:00 AM by David »

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »
Oh my, that is horrible...  how can a place become like that just because of economy shifts?  Money kills in so many ways  :(
----------

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
Oh my, that is horrible...  how can a place become like that just because of economy shifts?  Money kills in so many ways  :(

Well, a lot of the company's ship the jobs to places like China so they don't have to pay a decent wage, while most of the company's that keep work here only pay minimum wage.

Offline Blind_Fly_Theater

• Dave&Fly follow you everywhere...
  • ...Whispering in your ear... "Let us in"
    • Blind Fly Theater
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
Nice video. Mac take a look at where I grew up. Your video has inspired me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT_g_n61gY

That poor woman... It's so incredibly sad. I drove cross-country and through Detroit a while back, blown away by the depressed ghost-town feel of the place. Needed to find gas real soon and was happy to see ahead what looked like a main part of town, only to get there and realize it was all a facade mirage... Felt like Omega Man or I Am Legend.  Here in Rochester, we all knew Kodak (headquartered and made here) as we knew it was going the way of the horse and buggy, film being replaced by digital, and were horrified we'd end up in the same spot. We've escaped that fate so far. NYT story about it... http://goo.gl/f8xdi
David Lorell Hoskins
Blind Fly Theater

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

Well, a lot of the company's ship the jobs to places like China so they don't have to pay a decent wage, while most of the company's that keep work here only pay minimum wage.
I linked the video also on a Swedish music forum, and they told me the same thing about their country...
I think here that happens with big companies, but the thousands of small-town, possibly family-run companies like the ones we have in our area simply go out of business.  That, too, however, is probably a consequence of the work being sent abroad, as many of these smaller companies used to work for bigger ones, so it's the domino principle at play...
----------

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
Here in Rochester, we all knew Kodak (headquartered and made here) as we knew it was going the way of the horse and buggy, film being replaced by digital, and were horrified we'd end up in the same spot. We've escaped that fate so far. NYT story about it... http://goo.gl/f8xdi
That really is scary...  it's also a reminder that nothing is eternal and one should never hang his life to only one support...
----------

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »
Nicely done, Mac!

I quite enjoyed it. A hint of Goblin in there, perhaps? Although, maybe it was just the spooky material that put them in mind.
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
Thanks, Skinner  :)    Actually, no Goblin in there, it's mostly Berlin School, but the atmosphere in there was VERY Dario Argento, so maybe some similar vibe shivered its way in  ;-)   The place where we're supposed to go next Friday is even scarier...  I'm sure you would enjoy it and find inspiration for your stories, especially in the part that is below street level and completely dark.
----------

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks, Skinner  :)    Actually, no Goblin in there, it's mostly Berlin School, but the atmosphere in there was VERY Dario Argento, so maybe some similar vibe shivered its way in  ;-)   The place where we're supposed to go next Friday is even scarier...  I'm sure you would enjoy it and find inspiration for your stories, especially in the part that is below street level and completely dark.

I can't wait to see what the adventure produces!

(Oh, I also quite enjoyed Silverback, btw.  ;) )
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
I can't wait to see what the adventure produces!
A trip to the hospital, probably - my uncle and I are like Laurel and Hardy, but in a more physically dangerous way  ;-P   

(Oh, I also quite enjoyed Silverback, btw )
Thanks  :)  In that case, feel free to download the whole album http://www.macvibes.com/CDFLIESFLOWERSAPESE.html  the singing on it is so horrifying and hair-raising that you will certainly find inspiration for a story on Banshees  ;-P
----------

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
I used to do some, how shall we say urban exploring around my city. There are a lot of abandoned factory buildings and apartment houses that are left crumbling. A few people have been buying and restoring them but not enough to keep all of the buildings in use. They are so crazy, and it felt odd just walking through them, although it may have just been my paranoia at taking a bad step and going through the floor.

On a side note: a year or two ago an arsonist was burning down these buildings. They got caught but not after causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage. Since the buildings were in bad shape I guess that these buildings were worth more as ashes.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
Well, at least it's a good thing the arsonist was only targeting abandoned buildings...    A couple of friends of mine are "urban explorers" as well, but they are very ethical, which is definitely more than can be said for many who call themselves  like that.   Today that has become vandalism in most cases, while the true urban explorer should get in without breaking or damaging anything and only come out with photos, no "souvenirs".
Sign of the times, as Prince used to sing.
----------

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Speaking ou Urban Exploring, has any of you read the novel CREEPERS by David Morrell (the guy who wrote Rambo)? It's about a group of them who break into an old, elebrate hotel. There's nothing supernatural in it but it's still very eerie.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
Sounds interesting - I love abandoned hotels, maybe because they preserve the echoes of thousands of lives...   there is one near here I'd like to go explore, but being right on the road, it's kind of dangerous to go in, people can see you very easily  :-/

(by the way, Matt, thank you for the update on teh page  ;-)  )
----------