Author Topic: Seasonal Shows  (Read 156 times)

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Seasonal Shows
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
I love this time of year!  Autumn is my favorite season, and I don't know what I like more:  Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas!!  Yea, I'm that weird...LOL!  :o

I have to thank Jim for playing such a wonderful variety of shows all over the Relic Radio spectrum.  Familiarizing myself with the shows and actors has been great fun over the last few years.  Because of this familiarity, I let out an audible squeal in my car yesterday when I cranked it up, flipped to the Sirius OTR channel, and they were playing "The Screaming Woman" for Thanksgiving week!!!  HEHE!!

OK, like I've told y'all before....it's the little things.   :P

And, yes, I will be repeatedly listening to whatever OTR version of "A Christmas Carol" I have or can find.  Once December gets here.  Don't mention it to me before Dec. 1.  LOL!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline David

Re: Seasonal Shows
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
Happy Thanx Giving Janece.. Relic Radio is one of the things I am greatfull for, as I get older I have to think about things that I am truly greatfull for. ;D

Call it hard life or just spoiled. I have met some wonderful ppl here.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:59:54 PM by David »

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
Janece, I am picturing you squealing...

But yes I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving, or their equivalent for our foreign friends. I plan to stuff myself with pumpkin pie and listen to Relic Radio while the others are watching football. 

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Speaking of "The Holiday Season," I stumbled across a factoid today that I was previously unaware of:

Quote from: Wikipedia
In 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt moved Thanksgiving one week earlier than normal, believing that doing so would help bolster retail sales during one of the final years of the Great Depression. This led to much upheaval and protest, causing some to deride the holiday as Franksgiving. Thanksgiving (after 1941) takes place on the fourth Thursday of November.

It's a small detail from a tough time, but it lead to some interesting pop culture moments that I wouldn't understand if I hadn't read the article:

In the 1940 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon Holiday Highlights, directed by Tex Avery, the introduction to a segment about Thanksgiving shows the holiday falling on two different dates, one "for Democrats" and one a week later "for Republicans."

The competing dates for Thanksgiving are parodied in the 1942 film Holiday Inn. In the film, a November calendar appears on which an animated turkey jumps back and forth between the two weeks, until he gives up and shrugs his shoulders at the audience.

In the 1940 Three Stooges short film No Census, No Feeling, Curly makes mention of the Fourth of July being in October. When Moe questions him, Curly replies, "You never can tell. Look what they did to Thanksgiving!"

After reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franksgiving I felt like I should then listen to:

I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:30:52 AM »
I feel like I'm still recovering from my food coma.  After going to my aunt and uncle's house on Thursday, my mom wanted everyone to come to her house after church on Sunday.  It was a full Thanksgiving spread, so I essentially had 2 Thanksgivings this year.  I feel like a stuffed turkey!!

But it was sooooooo fun!!   ;D

I hope everyone here had a wonderful holiday and weekend!!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.