Author Topic: A sad farewell  (Read 471 times)

bobamos

A sad farewell
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that I am going to be leaving this site. Recent developments have made me realize that I don't really feel that I "want" to conform with some of the rules set around here. I had always felt that sharing information about radio shows and where they might be found was what we all wanted. Sure, Jim has worked hard to place some shows here for our enjoyment and I thank him for that work. It must be a daunting task and he does it very well. But, when a show is of real interest and there are only an episode or two available in this sites library I had felt that there really would be no harm in sharing a location where the full series could be heard. We always listened to Jim's offerings first but, I for one, wanted more of the shows that he sometimes introduced me to. Case in point , Theater Five. I have listened to all he has here but wanted more so I searched and found a more complete offering. Nothing wrong with that. And.. I thank him for introducing me to the series. But it seems that there is going to be a monopoly on our listening pleasure on this site. That I cannot work with. Since it is Jim's site I will honor his wishes and move along. Jim, I thank you for all your hard work and for showing me some great shows that I had not heard before. I have enjoyed my time here and will, most of all, miss the friends that I have made. Good bye my friends. 

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
Re: A sad farewell
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
Bob please do not go.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
Bob,   Reconsider, please!

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »
Bob we made up 40% of the posts.  :-\

you have my e-mail I'll see you on other forums I'm sure..No real reason  to leave all together you can drop in from time to time. I like talking with you about the shows.

I do agree that it's hard to talk about certain episodes without posting a link, maybe that's why no one has anything to say anymore.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
I do agree that it's hard to talk about certain episodes without posting a link, maybe that's why no one has anything to say anymore.

I disagree. I have found this forum willing to talk about any show whether or not Jim has played it, and of course we all know how far off track we go and how often we talk about things far afield of OTR. It just seems to me that as a courtesy to Jim, who provides this forum, as well as all the shows we download without so much as an ad, we direct traffic to Jim if possible, not another site. Now if we are talking about a show Jim has not played, and there are a great many of them, then it is my opinion that a non-Relic Radio link is not out of line, though Jim may say otherwise. As I see it, we can talk about any show, no matter if it has aired on RR or not, but if it has been played here, link here first. Anyway, that is how I see it.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
Now if we are talking about a show Jim has not played, and there are a great many of them, then it is my opinion that a non-Relic Radio link is not out of line, though Jim may say otherwise. As I see it, we can talk about any show, no matter if it has aired on RR or not, but if it has been played here, link here first. Anyway, that is how I see

That is what we were talking about, but at the same time I fear this will become a huge drama fest which no one needs.

I was just agreeing with a point Bob had made. "if the show has a limited amount of episodes..yada yada yada"  but I really don't care this isn't the only place I haunt  ;D I see bob, Jimbo, Mac and a few older members that haven't been around for a while on a few other forums.

The thing I like here is we welcome ppl here more than you see on the most other forums.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
My own two cents, if I may...

This is the only forum on the internet that I post on, belong to, etc.  I was subscribed to the podcasts for almost a year before I joined the forum.  I don't trust 99% of the people on the internet, and I don't believe 99% of the things I read on the internet.  However, I feel I have found a home here at Relic Radio and will honor Jim's wishes when it comes to how and what we post.  These are his sites, and as he stated, he's worked hard on them, even changing them around to satisfy our needs and requests.  And not to be ugly, but it that keeps "crazies" off the site, then so be it.

I really hope that Bob doesn't leave.  I don't go to other forums because of the PEOPLE here.  Jim's shows are awesome and are what drew me here, but ALL OF YOU are who keep me here.  While we may disagree on occasion, we seem to be good enough friends to be able to have an intelligent discourse about our opinions.

We all get excited about things related to OTR that we find elsewhere; I know I do.  However, I don't feel right posting a link to another site here on Jim's forum.  I agree with Barry that it seems like it would direct traffic away from here, and we're always saying we want more people on this site.

I am very fond of you all, and would hate to see any of you leave, so I am really, really hoping that Bob stays.   :'(
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
Sorry to see you go Bob, but you should do what you feel is right for you. I personally haven't posted much recently, mostly because I've been limiting the amount of time I spend on messageboards. This is the only OTR site I visit, but I'm not necessarily a big OTR fan. I love the horror shows because I love horror in general. There are a lot of awesome people on this forum I've been blessed to get to know, and I thank Jim for the amazing amount of effort he puts forth.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
I think there's a little problem in terms of communication here (as is almost always the case when people have disagreements). 

Jim puts a lot of effort and time into this and has every right to ask not to drive people away from his website (the opposite, if anything).  He does all this for free (as far as I'm concerned, anyway, since given my situation I haven't been able to donate anything at all for way too long), so it's just fair that we try to respect his home.

The communication problem is that he should probably communicate all this with a public post addressed to everybody, as opposed to (I believe) a series of pretty detrimental private messages.
Jim is a very direct and honest person, and I know he might even sound brutal when he's pissed (I know, because I'm just like that, too (probably worse)), hence the negative reactions to a fair request.

Getting a private message makes one feel singled out and attacked personally, not a good idea when dealing with a group  ;-)     So I guess we should just have an open discussion about this, where everybody explains their point of view, including Jim.

Bob, don't take it personally, the request is fair, it was just the wrong channel, please stay and let's all discuss this together.  Don't go,  Italians are sentimental to the point of stupidity, so if you go, you'll break my heart.   You don't wanna do that, right?  Shall I mention my friends in the Mafia again?   ;-)

Jim, let your thunderous voice be heard and talk to us, we're all ears (and some other parts of the body I'm not going to mention here)
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
I don't believe 99% of the things I read on the internet
Ha! Are we supposed to believe that?  Sorry, but I don't believe 99% of the things I read on the internet.

:P
----------

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
The communication problem is that he should probably communicate all this with a public post addressed to everybody, as opposed to (I believe) a series of pretty detrimental private messages.

What private messages?  I know I never sent any...  ???

I don't know what's going on here behind the scenes, but this is where it stops.  If it's possible, private messaging will be disabled - it is obviously not being used in any way that benefits the forum.

Again, this forum is for the listeners of the Relic Radio podcasts, and the front page should show pretty clearly, focused on the Relic Radio podcasts as far as radio shows go.

You can talk about anything you like.  If you've heard something somewhere you like that I haven't played, why not suggest it?  I'll play it on one of the shows, everyone will hear it, and maybe knowing the suggestion originated here, might join us to chat about it.  If the urge to post a link to an episode is unbearable and you can't stand waiting, then post a link to it - but I won't let this forum look like an old time radio link directory. 

That is not too much to ask.  If it's something you can't deal with, then go.  It's a big internet - there's someplace that'll suit what you're after I'm sure.

Now, can we please get back to having a good time here?  There's been far too much of this stuff lately and it makes my head hurt.   :-\

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
What private messages?  I know I never sent any...  ???
It was just my deduction, since I haven't seen anything about that being written on the forum, I figured you had communicated in private...   sorry if it was too hasty a conclusion.

I don't know what's going on here behind the scenes, but this is where it stops.
I told you, when he's pissed, he turns into Clint Eastwood  ;-P    (just kidding, just kidding!)

If you've heard something somewhere you like that I haven't played, why not suggest it?  I'll play it on one of the shows, everyone will hear it, and maybe knowing the suggestion originated here, might join us to chat about it.
That's sensible, yes.

Now, can we please get back to having a good time here?  There's been far too much of this stuff lately and it makes my head hurt.   :-\
I don't know, my idea of having fun is watching people fight, but I guess we could also go back to our usual sugary selves. I'll just wait for Peter to appear and take my frustration out on him.   
;-P
----------

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »
I don't believe 99% of the things I read on the internet
Ha! Are we supposed to believe that?  Sorry, but I don't believe 99% of the things I read on the internet.

I don't believe you, Mac.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
I don't believe you, Mac.
I don't believe myself, either.   
----------

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »