Author Topic: Sandy  (Read 312 times)

Offline wednesday

Sandy
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »
stay safe out there Barry... and anyone else on the eastern seaboard.
I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.
-Phillip Marlowe

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
Re: Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
Thank you. I hope everyone in the storm's path has taken all necessary precautions.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks. I have been holed up inside all day, and luckily still have power (and internet!). It is a bit rough, just waiting for the high tide and the possible flooding that will happen in some places. I should be good, we are high enough and far enough. They had some evacuations though.

Barry, I hope you get through this well, and anyone else in its large path.

This is certainly a good setting for a horror story or two. 

bobamos

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:24:30 PM »
Here's hoping that everyone rides this one out safely!!! Keep us informed as to how you are doing...

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
Thank you all for your concern. While I am safe, the power is going in and out. If I am offline for awhile, I am safe, just powerless.
Here is a shot from a park down the block. It is littered with broken braches and downed trees.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Yeah I'm watchin the weather channel now They are saying Wall street is under water

bobamos

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
Yeah I'm watchin the weather channel now They are saying Wall street is under water

Wall Street is always under water... Or it should be....  Now, if only it would hit DC and put that place and all its government officials underwater too. Now that would be what we call "good news"!

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
Stay safe, Barry!

Waiting for the snow here in TN!

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
I was looking at pictures this morning from Brooklyn and The Queens.  Incredible.  Glad to hear you're safe, Barry!!

Old Timer, I don't know about you, but it seems we only get slush and ice in Memphis.  LOL!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
I was looking at pictures this morning from Brooklyn and The Queens.  Incredible.  Glad to hear you're safe, Barry!!

Old Timer, I don't know about you, but it seems we only get slush and ice in Memphis.  LOL!

about 40 miles north of me, there was over a foot of snow and it is still coming.  We got a "dusting."  Certainly nothing to complain about compared to what folks up north are experiencing.  :'( :(

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
I made it through okay. People who live only about 30 miles away weren't so lucky. They had their homes flooded by the storm surge or taken off the foundation. There was a man who died from an accident a town or two over though. A very destructive storm, at least the worst one I have seen in my life so far. It is one of those things that puts you in perspective. The planet we live on is something tumultuous.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
If anyone wants to see some pictures I took during and after the storm you can check my site. The may not be as impressive as some others from New Jersey but walking around in the high winds was surreal and scary.

And to keep this OTR related, here is Orson Welles in The Hurricane:
http://relicradio.com/otr/2010/02/ow96-the-hurricane-by-campbell-playhouse/

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »

...Certainly nothing to complain about compared to what folks up north are experiencing.  :'( :(

Yes, Sir, that is true!

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
I made it through okay. People who live only about 30 miles away weren't so lucky. They had their homes flooded by the storm surge or taken off the foundation. There was a man who died from an accident a town or two over though. A very destructive storm, at least the worst one I have seen in my life so far. It is one of those things that puts you in perspective. The planet we live on is something tumultuous.

Glad to hear you're OK!!  The images I was seeing on TV were frightening.  Living "up the river" from New Orleans, we had a lot of refugees here in Memphis at the time, and the storms we got as a result of Katrina were bad enough.  I'd hate to think of taking the brunt of a storm like that or Sandy.