Author Topic: War time shows  (Read 552 times)

bobamos

War time shows
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
I love listening to the shows that deal with every day life during the war. There are interruptions when big events occur as well as the dealings on the shows reflect what was happening at that time in history.

There are also a number of shows available that are news broadcasts of war events and such. Great and educational listening. 

Offline David

Re: War time shows
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
I love listening to the shows that deal with every day life during the war. There are interruptions when big events occur as well as the dealings on the shows reflect what was happening at that time in history.

There are also a number of shows available that are news broadcasts of war events and such. Great and educational listening.

I used to subscribe to Jims "Radio at War" on iTunes, I have a decent amount of them haven't heard them all but there are some good ones in there.

bobamos

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »
It is tough realizing that not only are these shows entertaining but people really had to live through that stuff. It was REAL every day life.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
I've mentioned it before, but I really like the FM&M D-day episode.  Patriotic music and very little dialogue.  Also, just listened to a gildersleeve (surprise!) that I had missed somehow...it had breaking news bulletins about the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting the "breaking news."

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
I have  33 episodes 17.8 hours Some are Radio plays about true facts others are news broadcasts.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
I've mentioned it before, but I really like the FM&M D-day episode.  Patriotic music and very little dialogue.  Also, just listened to a gildersleeve (surprise!) that I had missed somehow...it had breaking news bulletins about the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting the "breaking news."

Wow!  I have often said that I have learned more about society back then by listening to the commercials and PSA's on OTR than I could from any textbook.  There was a FM&M episode that ended something like, we hope to provide a little laughter during this trying week.  The week that episode was aired was the first week of September, 1939, when WWII started.

I also get a window into society back then when I hear stuff like Abbott and Costello make references to A coupons, or butter/meat rationing, etc.  I heard one commercial for toothpaste at the end of one show which said that people had to turn in a metal toothpaste tube in order to get a new tube of toothpaste!
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »

I also like those.  I heard a few that had news bulletins about Korea in the broadcast.  Back then, you heard the words, "We interrupt this broadcast . . ."  These days, you tend to hear "breaking news".
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »

Wow!  I have often said that I have learned more about society back then by listening to the commercials and PSA's on OTR than I could from any textbook.  There was a FM&M episode that ended something like, we hope to provide a little laughter during this trying week.  The week that episode was aired was the first week of September, 1939, when WWII started.

I also get a window into society back then when I hear stuff like Abbott and Costello make references to A coupons, or butter/meat rationing, etc.  I heard one commercial for toothpaste at the end of one show which said that people had to turn in a metal toothpaste tube in order to get a new tube of toothpaste!

Yeah, those are priceless. I think of my parents when I hear/see the shows of their time, my dad was born 1930 my mom 1938 both are gone. They both went through some hard times growing up.

My dad's parents sent him to live with his uncle because he had a little money, He told me when he met my mom her family lived in a house with no floor, the ground was the floor.... Sounds hard to swallow but the great depression was devastating.