Author Topic: Bit torrent  (Read 315 times)

Offline David

Bit torrent
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »
I am wondering do any of you use this and is it worth the hassle of peer to peer networks?

I recently dl'd  this because it was the only way i could get a certain bbc show....had to surf all the way to the UK..man are my fingers tired! pfft okay that was a bad one.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
Re: Bit torrent
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
I use it occasionally to download concert bootlegs from a website (legal - nothing that has been  officially released is permitted and as soon as something gets released on an album, it gets pulled from the archives), but it is a pain in the neck...   it takes days, sometimes. Unfortunately, it's the only way to find some material, and unfortunately it's used for a lot of illegal stuff, too  :-/
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
I use it occasionally to download concert bootlegs from a website (legal - nothing that has been  officially released is permitted and as soon as something gets released on an album, it gets pulled from the archives), but it is a pain in the neck...   it takes days, sometimes. Unfortunately, it's the only way to find some material, and unfortunately it's used for a lot of illegal stuff, too  :-/

Yes, that's what I have gathered from my new found friends..one of them  called me a "cheekie fellow" ..what was that all about?

bobamos

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
Okay, clue me in... what is it???

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
Okay, clue me in... what is it???

Bob, Mac can explain better than I can. PM him he doesn't come here unless he's summoned.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
I am everywhere, you just can't see me, I just make myself visible when I'm summoned, but actually I've been there all the time  ;-P

I really do think David could explain this better than me, but here you go:

As you know, Bob, files are usually uploaded somewhere on the net  (meaning on some provider's hard disk somewhere you can connect to, to simplify to the max degree). Torrent files, however, are shared by the users directly.  That means that when you download a file using this method, you are actually connecting directly to the computers of other people who give you access to a specific folder within their own hard disk.  This system has the ability to look for all the computers that are connected to the internet at a specific time and pick up pieces of identical files from all of them at the same time.  That's why it is referred to as "peer-to-peer" sharing, there is no intermediary in between the users.
Obviously, that does not mean that every computer is part of this network, but only those computers that have a specific program  installed that will allow them to do this.

In other words:

let's say Jim uploads a show to his provider's server, you connect to it and download the show.
However, let's say that Jim hasn't uploaded that show, but Peter, Barry, Meow and I all have it on our hard disks because we shared it some time before as a torrent.  Let's say you have the torrent sharing program installed as well, so you can download the file directly from us.  At first only Peter and Barry are connected, so the torrent software starts picking up pieces of the file from their computers, then Peter turns off his computer, but I connect to the net, so the program "sees" my computer and starts taking pieces of the file from my computer as well, and so on.  Except for Meow, because she's on vacation in Egypt and is busy trying to buy the pyramids for her garden.  If nobody is connected, the file can't be downloaded, you have to wait until somebody turns on their computer.

Not sure how clear all this was, but I hope it helped a little...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:55:13 PM by Mac of BIOnighT »
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

bobamos

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
Very good explanation. Before i knew nothing about this and now...? Well, I'm thick headed and still know nothing but know someone that does!!! LOL

Actually, you made it very clear. Not sure I would be comfortable with that but I guess some folks are okay with it. Thanks for the lesson. Now it's time fr recess... (and a good radio show!)

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
LOL! thanx Mac!

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
Okay what have we learned? torrents bad.. RelicRadio good! yes? Yes.

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Isn't there in inherent danger on directly linking to and downloading from personal computers? Sounds like I better have a damn good anti-virus and firewall installed.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
Isn't there in inherent danger on directly linking to and downloading from personal computers? Sounds like I better have a damn good anti-virus and firewall installed.

Naw, mac saved us.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
I used to use torrents years back for music videos. And I didn't have many problems with it, but I did have a decent anti-virus. I would suggest an anti-virus if you are going to do it but I didn't have any problems with it.

And a vacation in Egypt sounds delightful...

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »
I used to use torrents years back for music videos. And I didn't have many problems with it, but I did have a decent anti-virus. I would suggest an anti-virus if you are going to do it but I didn't have any problems with it.

Not if your an American it wouldn't be.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »

Not if your an American it wouldn't be.

Well let us say in the near future?