Author Topic: Why no Fibber McGee and Molly?  (Read 602 times)

bobamos

Why no Fibber McGee and Molly?
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
Just wondered why we don't see any Fibber and Molly shows around here? I know most prefer Gildy but M&M were one of the top shows for many years.

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
Re: Why no Fibber McGee and Molly?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
I'll work some into the Legacy Of Laughs schedule.  Not really sure why I haven't before.

bobamos

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
Thanks Jim... That would be great!! I think our friends here will enjoy them.

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
Just wondered why we don't see any Fibber and Molly shows around here? I know most prefer Gildy but M&M were one of the top shows for many years.

Not really into comedy but I'll check it out.

bobamos

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

If ya don't like comedy you don't like comedy. But this is one show that you might just like.  I love the show. Funny thing is, Amos & Andy were the top show and I don't really care for it. (And my last name is Amos!!)

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

If ya don't like comedy you don't like comedy. But this is one show that you might just like.  I love the show. Funny thing is, Amos & Andy were the top show and I don't really care for it. (And my last name is Amos!!)

What I've been doing lately is taking a hand full of different shows and listening while I lay down for the night, if they keep me up they are good if I fall asleep I'll listen again the next day or some other time.

I tried to listen to Gildy but never got into it. Not that I dislike comedy I just never could get into OTR comedy for some reason.

I like all the older comedies on TV like Dick VanDyke <-- I hope thats spelled rite lol... Andy Griffith, M*A*S*H,  I never loved Lucy. and so on..

bobamos

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »
The big difference between Fibber and Molly and Gildy is Gildy is like a soap opera in that the show runs from one show to the next.  A continuing story, if you will. But, F&M shows are stand alone shows. Sure the characters are consistent but each show is its own story.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
I can understand about OTR comedies not appealing to everyone.  Based on what we're used to seeing/hearing as comedy nowadays, I usually stay away from the OTR comedies because, while they are amusing at times, I can't give them the belly laugh that others do.  HOWEVER, I have found Fibber McGee & Molly to be quite humorous!  I can't listen all the time, but the little I've heard, I have enjoyed.  I've caught a few other comedies on the Sirius OTR channel, and they are OK.  I'll listen, but a lot of times they come across as silly to me instead of funny.

I've heard a little bit of Gildy, but it just really wasn't for me.  I like Eve Arden, but I can't take too much of Walter on Our Miss Brooks (I prefer him as Col Trautman).  I've heard others, but nothing that made me laugh like McGee & Molly.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »
The big difference between Fibber and Molly and Gildy is Gildy is like a soap opera in that the show runs from one show to the next.  A continuing story, if you will. But, F&M shows are stand alone shows. Sure the characters are consistent but each show is its own story.

I think I've now listened up to about 1950 and have to agree that FM&M are definitely worth a listen.  It is a different experience completely from Gildy.  Running gags and just wonderful voice work make the show.  I'm not sure if I've found one I didn't enjoy.

bobamos

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »

I think I've now listened up to about 1950 and have to agree that FM&M are definitely worth a listen.  It is a different experience completely from Gildy.  Running gags and just wonderful voice work make the show.  I'm not sure if I've found one I didn't enjoy.

Those great voices were what also made Gildy so well received. Most of the players on F&M were used on Gildy. The very same actors that did all those wonderful voices on F&M did the voices on Gildy. In my opinion these were the 2 best comedies on radio until F&M went to Monitor which played them on a 15 minute format with very little from the early success days.  Both missed the mark on TV though. 

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »
I am on "F" in my list of OTR shows and will be getting to FM&M soon. 
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
It's sad to say but I have not listened to this, nor Gildersleeve. Perhaps I should make the time?

Offline allyn211

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »
You should.  :)
Tina

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

I miss Bob.. I still havnt listened  FM&M I'll listen tonight.

Offline allyn211

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:20:36 AM »
Just saw that FM&M was on yesterday's Legacy of Laughs!
Tina