Author Topic: Jerry Stiller done OTR?  (Read 520 times)

Offline David

Jerry Stiller done OTR?
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »
Yes the guy that played George Costanza's  Dad on Seinfeld.

http://relicradio.com/otr/2011/08/st86-the-frontiers-of-fear-by-cbs-radio-mystery-theater/

A defeated man buys an ancient typewriter from a pawn shop. The typewriter reveals itself to be like the Goose that lays golden eggs. But gold might not be the only thing it has to offer. What if it is blood?

If you like the twilight zone you'll like this.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Re: Jerry Stiller done OTR?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
I remember him in that episode.  Seems like I've heard him in other OTR shows, but I can't remember right off.  I remember him more from older movies and being Ben Stiller's dad, but I don't think I've ever seen him on TV.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I listened to that one. It was very strange indeed.

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
I remember him in that episode.  Seems like I've heard him in other OTR shows, but I can't remember right off.  I remember him more from older movies and being Ben Stiller's dad, but I don't think I've ever seen him on TV.

He's the father on king of queens that lives in the basement.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

This is the role he'll always be known for: Frank Costanza

My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »

This is the role he'll always be known for: Frank Costanza

Yes, he is the most annoying actor I have ever encountered and I'm not a judge of men but I can honestly say he is the ugliest person in Hollywood.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
Oh, I see.  Sorry, guys, I haven't watched a sitcom since The Cosby's were on Thursday nights.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
Oh, I see.  Sorry, guys, I haven't watched a sitcom since The Cosby's were on Thursday nights.

So Janece, you have to know him from this film, which is a million times better than the recent remake.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »

So Janece, you have to know him from this film, which is a million times better than the recent remake.

One of my favourite heist flicks! It's better than the remake in every possible way.
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
I have only seen the remake of Pelham (and only once) so I have nothing to compare it to.  I've heard I need to see the original.  I think I really know Jerry Stiller more from his various and frequent guest appearances on TV dramas through the years.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
I have only seen the remake of Pelham (and only once) so I have nothing to compare it to.  I've heard I need to see the original.  I think I really know Jerry Stiller more from his various and frequent guest appearances on TV dramas through the years.

Janece, if you ever get the time, do yourself a favor and watch Pelham. Robert Shaw and  Walter Matthau, two guys who would not be cast in a heist film in this era. And the supporting cast- Jerry Stiller, Martin Balsam (costar, not supporting, actually), and Hector Elizondo are all superb and pitch perfect. Robert Shaw is such a good actor that despite having seen Jaws upteen times I never made the connection that the same actor who played the earthy fisherman in Jaws played the suave Englishman in Pelham.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »

Janece, if you ever get the time, do yourself a favor and watch Pelham. Robert Shaw and  Walter Matthau, two guys who would not be cast in a heist film in this era. And the supporting cast- Jerry Stiller, Martin Balsam (costar, not supporting, actually), and Hector Elizondo are all superb and pitch perfect. Robert Shaw is such a good actor that despite having seen Jaws upteen times I never made the connection that the same actor who played the earthy fisherman in Jaws played the suave Englishman in Pelham.

I would second that! I just watched it for the first time about six months ago and it was great! I'm not too big into heist movies but it seemed like the acting drew me in.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:01 PM »
Well, with all these endorsements, I'm going to have to check it out then.  "Jaws" is one of my all-time faves, and I'll watch it every time it's on.  I love Robert Shaw in that movie.  But it's funny to stop and think that he was a Brit, especially after that gritty New England portrayal.  Something I was reading said that the tension on-screen between him and Richard Dreyfuss was real and had moved from off-screen.  Shaw basically saw Dreyfuss much like their characters saw each other, and there was not a lot of respect at first.

The rest of the cast for the original Pelham sounds awesome!  I'll remind my husband to put it on our list of movies to get in.  Of course I LOVED Martin Balsam in The Bedford Incident and Twelve Angry Men, both wonderful movies in my opinion.  And I mean, really, Matthau and Elizondo??  WOW!  How did I miss this?

bobamos

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
Listened to the episode and also recall that one. But it was a nice revisit too... Enjoyed it. (I remembered it from when it was originally broadcasted)