Author Topic: What ever happened to Halloween?  (Read 566 times)

Offline David

Re: What ever happened to Halloween?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
Finally TCM breaks out with the horror classics.  Just finished watching the mummy with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing  I guess I missed Dracula before that..was planning on going to bed but now they are showing Gorgon and I never seen it so I guess sleep can wait.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
The ending to The Gorgon is one of my favourites of the era.

"Screw you, I may not have been in this film for more than five minutes, but I'm friggin' Christopher Lee!" *Chop*
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:15:06 AM »
The ending to The Gorgon is one of my favourites of the era.

"Screw you, I may not have been in this film for more than five minutes, but I'm friggin' Christopher Lee!" *Chop*

Are you sure your not thinking of Bruce Lee? *Chop*

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
I may or may not have mentioned this before, but being someone who never really had a Halloween growing up (the parents didn't like it), I can't really say that I've missed the feeling this year. However, since joining this little clambake about five years ago, I've found the desire to revisit my copies of Dracula, Mark of the Vampire, Vampyr, White Zombie, and The Vampire Bat... Not to mention the audio copies of Mercury Theatre's Dracula, Lights Out, Quiet Please, etc.

You guys bring out the classic horror fan in me!  ::)
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
I may or may not have mentioned this before, but being someone who never really had a Halloween growing up (the parents didn't like it), I can't really say that I've missed the feeling this year. However, since joining this little clambake about five years ago, I've found the desire to revisit my copies of Dracula, Mark of the Vampire, Vampyr, White Zombie, and The Vampire Bat... Not to mention the audio copies of Mercury Theatre's Dracula, Lights Out, Quiet Please, etc.

I love Mark of the Vampire very well written.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »

And you've got great taste. Not a clunker in the bunch. Ever see the original Night of the Living Dead?
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

And you've got great taste. Not a clunker in the bunch. Ever see the original Night of the Living Dead?

I have it on DVD, but I don't like the ending where Ben is the last one alive and well, but is shot dead  >:(  The scene with the little girl in the basement with the trowel is my favorite scene, though  ::)
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »

I have it on DVD, but I don't like the ending where Ben is the last one alive and well, but is shot dead  >:(  The scene with the little girl in the basement with the trowel is my favorite scene, though  ::)

If I remember right, Romero wanted to use the shooting to say something about racism. I think he actually tries to say something in all of his zombie movies. I am partial to his movies because of this. Although a good blood bath is fun once and a while.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

If I remember right, Romero wanted to use the shooting to say something about racism. I think he actually tries to say something in all of his zombie movies. I am partial to his movies because of this. Although a good blood bath is fun once and a while.

That film's message works because it is not overt or forced, it is simply matter of fact. Yes, the guy is black and yes, he is the rational one, but in no way does it seem like a "message." And the ending where he is shot could be read either way, message or no.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline David

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
Yeah, he was the rational one during the whole movie but at the end everyone's dead the militia his blowing zombies heads off he sticks his head out and the end. Lol!

Offline David

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
So I logged on my home page this AM and this was one of the top stories.

http://moms.today.com/_news/2012/10/24/14631085-are-charlie-brown-and-the-peanuts-gang-too-mean-for-todays-kids-good-grief#comments

Instead of not watching it or not allowing their own children from viewing it they would rather it be erased.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
So I logged on my home page this AM and this was one of the top stories.

http://moms.today.com/_news/2012/10/24/14631085-are-charlie-brown-and-the-peanuts-gang-too-mean-for-todays-kids-good-grief#comments

Instead of not watching it or not allowing their own children from viewing it they would rather it be erased.

Seriously?

Maybe watching those shows is why I'm so mean today!

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
How is it that I cant find a decent horror flick on TV but I can save 15% on my car insurance through GEICO? :o That's just nuts!

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
How is it that I cant find a decent horror flick on TV but I can save 15% on my car insurance through GEICO? :o That's just nuts!

I've been disappointed at the TV horror movie selection this October. I've never been a fan of either the Friday the 13th or Halloween movies, which seem to be replayed endlessly.

Offline David

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

I've been disappointed at the TV horror movie selection this October. I've never been a fan of either the Friday the 13th or Halloween movies, which seem to be replayed endlessly.

Yeah AMC really knows how to over do things. TCM has shown a few good ones but they could show more in my opinion.