Author Topic: Getting To Know You  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Re: Getting To Know You
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Al!!

Sounds like a fellow Vincent Price fan ... very cool!  You should also try "Bloodbath" by Escape.  It's one of my faves with Price.  I remember the one you're talking about with the cat (Cat's Cradle).  Creepy episode!

http://relicradio.com/otr/?s=bloodbath
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Al

• Just because you hear, doesn't mean that you listen.
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »

It is like a finger pointing the way to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

A fellow Bruce Lee fan?   

'Boards Don't Hit Back'

The scene in Enter the Dragon that he is sparring with his student is great.  The part that leads up to and after your quote David. 
I really like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, the young thin(ish) Stevel Segal, some of Van Dammes movies.
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.  Bruce Lee

Offline Al

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Sounds like a fellow Vincent Price fan ... very cool!  You should also try "Bloodbath" by Escape.  It's one of my faves with Price.  I remember the one you're talking about with the cat (Cat's Cradle).  Creepy episode!

Thanks Janece...
I will definitely check out that episode thanks for the suggestion...
Do you have any other favorites that I may enjoy as well?
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.  Bruce Lee

Offline David

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

It is like a finger pointing the way to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

A fellow Bruce Lee fan?   

'Boards Don't Hit Back'

The scene in Enter the Dragon that he is sparring with his student is great.  The part that leads up to and after your quote David. 
I really like Bruce Lee, Jet Li, the young thin(ish) Stevel Segal, some of Van Dammes movies.

I would have rather seen him fight Bolo Yeung than see John Saxon do it.

When I was a kid he was my idol I read Bruce Lee's fighting method vol 1 - 4, the art and philosophy by Dan Inosanto and Linda Lee and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. "Stop look listen" 中止神色聽

Ironically both he and his son were killed making a movie about them dying.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:20:33 PM by David »

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »

A fellow Bruce Lee fan?   

'Boards Don't Hit Back'

When I was a kid he was my idol I read Bruce Lee's fighting method vol 1 - 4, the art and philosophy by Dan Inosanto and Linda Lee and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. "Stop look listen" 中止神色聽

I was a big martial arts fan as well. I was super into Jean Claud Van Dam and Stephen Segal movies (I know they are mostly terrible). Maybe it's because of the age I was when I first got into Tae Kwon Do. I wore my hair in a ponytail for awhile because of Segal, and I taught myself a very flashy but unfortunately telegraphed jump spin kick earlier than my instructor wanted to show me after watching the one VanDam threw in the movie Death Warrent. 

Offline Al

« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »

I agree with you on Bolo and Bruce Lee.  It pains me to see Saxon do martials arts.  I was in USMC boot camp the year his son died.  Did you ever get to read the graphic novel The Crow.  You want to talk about raw emotion on paper.  I would recommend it.

Offline Al

« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

I was a big martial arts fan as well. I was super into Jean Claud Van Dam and Stephen Segal movies (I know they are mostly terrible). Maybe it's because of the age I was when I first got into Tae Kwon Do. I wore my hair in a ponytail for awhile because of Segal, and I taught myself a very flashy but unfortunately telegraphed jump spin kick earlier than my instructor wanted to show me after watching the one VanDam threw in the movie Death Warrent.

When I first started sparring I used to make the Bruce Lee sounds and well as the nose flick that they played out in the Matrix.  There was one match that I was winning, I did the most arrogant move ever.  It was the move Bruce Leroy did in the Last dragon.  After the match my instructor told me never to showboat  again and proceeded to beat my ass.  I have been a more humble fighter ever since. 

Offline Blind_Fly_Theater

• Dave&Fly follow you everywhere...
  • ...Whispering in your ear... "Let us in"
    • Blind Fly Theater
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »

Hey Janece :)

Love to meet new Vincent Price fans! Thanks for posting a link to Relic Radio's post of "Bloodbath" by Escape. Listening to it right now. Love that priceless Price voice.
Got to believe I've heard it before, since I've been an avid consumer of "The Horror" podcasts for almost 4 years now.

PS -- There was no "The Horror" episode posted for this past Wednesday... I hope one gets posted tonight.
David Lorell Hoskins
Blind Fly Theater

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
On the other hand, if you only focus on the moon, you will miss that gorgeous finger.  ;-P  The best thing of all is to look at both  ;-)

Speaking of which, do you now this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EygqL--RW4   Beautiful!

Although this one is the best and most moving, makes me cry every time  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline David

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
Quote from: Mac the merciless
Speaking of which, do you now this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EygqL--RW4   Beautiful!

That is cool. Thnx I added it to favz  ;D

Offline Al

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

Although this one is the best and most moving, makes me cry every time  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA

Super Cool Bro.  I did a paper on how Bruce Lee could be considered a modern day martial arts Buddha.  He structured so much of his philosophies around the Buddha that he just showed another road to enlightment.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
Are you a Buddhist?  Or is it just some sort of secondary interest that came with martial arts?
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Al

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
It was a secondary interest due to martial arts training.  But I do like to see how other people and cultures deal with 'religion'.  Have you ever seen DOGMA?  That movie is so right on many levels.  I feel that truth is and whatever you may call it, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Buddhist, if it feels right for you it is a personal choice.  There is no wrong way.  That will be the last post for religion for me as I do not wish to disrespect anyone.

Offline David

« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »
Are you a Buddhist?  Or is it just some sort of secondary interest that came with martial arts?

Lol! Mac thats kinda like asking you if you have ties with the mafia cuz you're Italian.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

Thanks Janece...
I will definitely check out that episode thanks for the suggestion...
Do you have any other favorites that I may enjoy as well?

You're welcome :)

I like just about anything by Price of Fear...Jim's got a decent selection so far:

http://relicradio.com/otr/?s=price+of+fear

I recommend searching Jim's shows for anything by Quiet Please, Super Feature by Lights Out, The Screaming Woman by Suspense, The House and The Brain by The Weird Circle, Murder in the Script Room by Lights Out, Tuba by The Saint, and of course, anything you can find by Price of Fear.

Jim played another fave of mine a while back.  It was called the Ninth Removal and was in a podcast called Two by Price of Fear.  It was in there with Lot 132.  I don't find a link, but if you ask nicely, I bet Jim will play it for you.  :)  It's great!
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.