Author Topic: Getting To Know You  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
Re: Getting To Know You
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »
Right.       I'm never quite sure whether this kind of work is just a sort of prank or a real thing, but they are fun.
There was one last year - during the soundSCAPE festival I mentioned above - that was a piece for director.  Just the director, no orchestra.  The director was standing with his back to the audience as if he was really conducting the orchestra, with all the moves and everything.  It was a lot of fun, and it became even more so when he turned around and started directing the audience  :D 
The people in the audience made sounds of all kinds trying to follow his directions and laughing all the way through  :)  Did it have any profound meaning as well?  I don't know, but it sure was hilarious, which is something most music never manages to be   :)

I guess it is all a matter of interpretation. And not everything has to be serious.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
Samuel Beckett's play, "Breath" is a bit like that. 

Written in English some time before it was sent to New York, in 1969, in response to Kenneth Tynan's request for a contribution to his review Oh! Calcutta! The original text first published in Gambit, vol. 4, no. 16 (1970). First produced at the Eden Theater, New York, on 16 June 1969. Firtst performed in Britain at the Close Theatre Club, Glasgow, in October 1969.

Here's the script:

OPENING CURTAIN

1.  Faint light on stage littered with miscellaneous rubbish. Hold about five seconds.

2. Faint brief cry and immediately inspiration and slow increase of light together reaching maximum together in about ten seconds. Silence and hold about five seconds.

3. Expiration and slow decrease of light together reaching minimum together (light as in 1) in about ten seconds and  immeadiately cry as before. Silence and hold about five seconds.

CLOSING CURTAIN

RUBBISH
No verticals, all scattered and lying.

CRY
Instant of recorded vagitus. Important that two cries be identical, switching on and off strictly synchronized light and breath.

BREATH
Amplified recording.

MAXIMUM LIGHT
Not bright. If 0 = dark and 10 = bright, light should move from about 3 to 6 and back.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
I started a thread of my own with a short introduction.  I just joined the forum, and I have a hard time figuring out exactly which OTR show is my favorite.  I lean towards Suspense, Escape, Fibber McGee and Molly, CBSRMT.  Most OTRs have better entertainment value than most of the shows on TV these days. 

I'm married with a teenage son that has high-functioning autism.  I recently finished listening to a bunch of Dragnet episodes, and my son seems to like those.  I think he's more fond of the music than anything else.  :)
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
Alfred Tomatis did a lot of interesting research that can be used for autistic people, as well.  The power of sound is way too often underestimated when it comes to healing...  I'm not surprised your son seems to  react to the music more than the show itself, in fact  :)
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline David

« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
Alfred Tomatis did a lot of interesting research that can be used for autistic people, as well.  The power of sound is way too often underestimated when it comes to healing...  I'm not surprised your son seems to  react to the music more than the show itself, in fact  :)

I have been saying that for years. I discovered when i was doing my homework I could concentrate  better if I had classical music on. I had suggested it to authority figures at past jobs to increase productivity. Super markets and most department stores use it and the thing about it is most ppl dont even notice the music.

My opinion is that classical music defuses negative energy. I know that sounds odd coming from me.. I'm no genius.. I do notice things like that though.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
classical music defuses negative energy
Talk for yourself - would you like to swap jobs for a while?   ;-P
----------

Offline David

« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2012, 09:13:23 PM »
classical music defuses negative energy
Talk for yourself - would you like to swap jobs for a while?   ;-P

For me it does. I'm not a musician.. I suppose hearing the same song over and over again off key would change my opinion on that .. I assume that's what happens to you being a music teacher.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
Thank you for thinking I could teach music  :P    Actually I just work for a concert hall and I'm forced to put up with classic music all the time  :(
----------

Offline David

« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
Thank you for thinking I could teach music  :P    Actually I just work for a concert hall and I'm forced to put up with classic music all the time  :(

I thought you were a maestro.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
Only when it comes to being a nuisance  ;-P
----------

Offline David

« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

I could have swore Barry told me you were a music teacher like last year on the old forum. So you're not? That would explain silver back! Lol! I'm kidding.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
 ;D ;D  No, I teach English (private lessons), I make music for myself and those patient enough to listen, and I work for an auditorium doing everything - lights, sound, graphics, website, newsletters, PR, translations, interpreting,  and just about anything you could possibly think of, cleaning included  :-/ 
----------

Offline David

« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
;D ;D  No, I teach English (private lessons), I make music for myself and those patient enough to listen, and I work for an auditorium doing everything - lights, sound, graphics, website, newsletters, PR, translations, interpreting,  and just about anything you could possibly think of, cleaning included  :-/

Thats cool. Sounds interesting.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:10 PM »

I could have swore Barry told me you were a music teacher like last year on the old forum. So you're not? That would explain silver back! Lol! I'm kidding.

Nope, didn't hear that from me.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #194 on: December 09, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
Nope, didn't hear that from me.
Well, I'm offended - you should say nice things like that about me, but apparently you don't  :(  >:(

:P
----------