Author Topic: Case closed  (Read 1310 times)

bobamos

Re: Case closed
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »
As much as I hated seeing AMC turn in the direction they have, (they call it modern classics) it really does not matter because all the movies went to Turner and they actually do a much better job than AMC ever did anyway.

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
As much as I hated seeing AMC turn in the direction they have, (they call it modern classics) it really does not matter because all the movies went to Turner and they actually do a much better job than AMC ever did anyway.

Did Robert Osborne used to host for AMC?

bobamos

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

No... actually, AMC didn't really have all the people sharing information about the movies. TCM has a much better presentation than AMC did.

Offline David

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »

No... actually, AMC didn't really have all the people sharing information about the movies. TCM has a much better presentation than AMC did.

It's like here, we have Jim. I don't think the shows are as interesting on other sites If I am looking for something I always check here first if Jim doesn't have it I Google NOT Bing..(I wish my browser would stop asking me to take the Bing vs Google challenge)

Jim is the Robert Osborne of OTR.

bobamos

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:45 PM »

It's like here, we have Jim. I don't think the shows are as interesting on other sites If I am looking for something I always check here first if Jim doesn't have it I Google NOT Bing..(I wish my browser would stop asking me to take the Bing vs Google challenge)

Jim is the Robert Osborne of OTR.

Yes Jim certainly is the Osborne of old tyme radio. Best of all, he's available for us to contact. Like you, I tend to start a search for a show here and then move on the archive.org.

Offline David

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »
Ya gotta love TCM. (It use to be AMC until they sold their library to TCM) TCM has all kinds of cool, but hokey, shows. I spend lots of time there.

That reminds me!! Tomorrow on TCM @ 10pm they are showing Phillip Marlowe. I have never seen any of them and  until I came to Relic Radio I never heard of Philip Marlowe, after listening to them on pod cast I wont be totally lost. If it's as good as the Saint movie I saw the other night there will be no complaints from me.

Ty for the reminder Bob where ever you are these days.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
Crime Classics is a neat little show... I find it kind of weird, but I like it.  Elliot Lewis must've been the busiest man in Radio!

I once read that Elliott and Cathy Lewis were called "the hardest working couple in show business".  I believe it.  I'm constantly hearing either Elliott or Cathy's name in the credits of radio shows.
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline David

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:02 PM »
Well, My opinion on the P.Marlowe movie..

It wasn't as good as The Saint  and is no where near as good as the radio episodes I've heard but I haven't seen Bogart as Marlowe yet. I'm sure he does a much better job than Robert Montgomery, though it wasn't all together horrible it just  just wasn't Marlowe.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »

It wasn't as good as The Saint  and is no where near as good as the radio episodes I've heard but I haven't seen Bogart as Marlowe yet. I'm sure he does a much better job than Robert Montgomery, though it wasn't all together horrible it just  just wasn't Marlowe.

Was it Lady in the Lake? I didn't see that one, but it does have Montgomery as director as well. See The Big Sleep, it is worth it, and I believe the first pairing of Bogey and Bacall.

Offline David

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »

Was it Lady in the Lake? I didn't see that one, but it does have Montgomery as director as well. See The Big Sleep, it is worth it, and I believe the first pairing of Bogey and Bacall.

Yes, it was Lady in the lake.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »

I've got it tucked away on my PVR for the weekend - I'll watch it and get back to you. The Big Sleep, and specifically Bogart in it, are definitely worth the time.
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Barry, thanks so much for the suggestion you sent in at the end of December for the Johnny Dollar episode with Vincent Price in it.  Just got around to listening to it a few minutes ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!  I'm a Johnny Dollar fan and a Vincent Price fan, so this was awesome.  I've always liked it when actors play themselves in a fictional world.  It makes for some good laughs and a lot of tongue-in-cheek dialogue.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »
Barry, thanks so much for the suggestion you sent in at the end of December for the Johnny Dollar episode with Vincent Price in it.  Just got around to listening to it a few minutes ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!  I'm a Johnny Dollar fan and a Vincent Price fan, so this was awesome.  I've always liked it when actors play themselves in a fictional world.  It makes for some good laughs and a lot of tongue-in-cheek dialogue.

You're so welcome. when I stumbled upon it I thought it was the audio equivalent of choclate and peanut butter, two great tastes that go great together. "Hey! You got Vincent Price all over Johnny Dollar!" "No, you got Johnny Dollar on Vincent Price!"

What I really like is that by that point in Johnny Dollar, Johnny had become a bit of a star himself since the fictional Johnny Dollar had become the star of "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" on the radio, fictionalizing his own cases.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by bmj2k (Barry) »
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

You're so welcome. when I stumbled upon it I thought it was the audio equivalent of choclate and peanut butter, two great tastes that go great together. "Hey! You got Vincent Price all over Johnny Dollar!" "No, you got Johnny Dollar on Vincent Price!"

What I really like is that by that point in Johnny Dollar, Johnny had become a bit of a star himself since the fictional Johnny Dollar had become the star of "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" on the radio, fictionalizing his own cases.

I know!  It was really funny when Vincent escaped the throngs of autograph-seekers when Johnny showed up, and left to deal with them.

And you are making me feel REALLY old with that commercial.  I think remember that whole series.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.