Author Topic: Harold Peary Pic  (Read 659 times)

Offline Old Timer

Harold Peary Pic
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
Ok, I feel like I need to christen the Great Gildersleeve forum with a photo I bought from ebay recently.  It is supposedly a candid shot from someone's collection.  The quality of the image certainly makes me believe it probably was snapped by a fan on the street (love the trademark cigar!).  Anyway, enjoy!

Offline David

Re: Harold Peary Pic
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Ok, I feel like I need to christen the Great Gildersleeve forum with a photo I bought from ebay recently.  It is supposedly a candid shot from someone's collection.  The quality of the image certainly makes me believe it probably was snapped by a fan on the street (love the trademark cigar!).  Anyway, enjoy!

I was wondering when you were going to open the Gildy conversations.

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Felt like it was my responsibility!

bobamos

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
We were all just waiting for you to do just that... Good to see yo found your way home.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »

NEAT!   :D

bobamos

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
I remember Gildy when he was the McGee's next door neighbor. He was married on that show... McGee and he were "best buddies" that were always at one another's throats.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
I remember Gildy when he was the McGee's next door neighbor. He was married on that show... McGee and he were "best buddies" that were always at one another's throats.

Much more pompous then too.
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

bobamos

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

He sure was... but he was also not the ladies man he is on his show being married and all... But the rest of him is still the same. Mostly.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »

He sure was... but he was also not the ladies man he is on his show being married and all... But the rest of him is still the same. Mostly.

As far as I can tell, he softened as GG went along but was essetitally the same charcter.

bobamos

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

As far as I can tell, he softened as GG went along but was essetitally the same charcter.

I see it the same way. Fortunately Peary kept him as he originally was. That is the reason for the success of the show. And when Waterman took over he did the same. Have you ever hear The Harold Peary Show? His personality was a rerun of his Gildy character. He was a radio announcer instead of the water commissioner. But it was just Gildy in disguise.   

Here's a link to the shows. http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Harold_Peary_Show_Singles

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »

I see it the same way. Fortunately Peary kept him as he originally was. That is the reason for the success of the show. And when Waterman took over he did the same. Have you ever hear The Harold Peary Show? His personality was a rerun of his Gildy character. He was a radio announcer instead of the water commissioner. But it was just Gildy in disguise.   

Here's a link to the shows. http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Harold_Peary_Show_Singles

I've heard three or four. It was no Gildersleeve but it was enoyable.

bobamos

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »
Yes, Gildy was only one of a parade of characters and each only had about 5 minutes mike time in general.  There were a few where Gildy was on mike most of the show but those were towards the end of his time there as he had become quite popular.

Offline David

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
Yes, Gildy was only one of a parade of characters and each only had about 5 minutes mike time in general.  There were a few where Gildy was on mike most of the show but those were towards the end of his time there as he had become quite popular.

Lol...Mike. Sorry, but I did laugh out loud.