Author Topic: Opinons on the Lone Ranger  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
Re: Opinons on the Lone Ranger
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
And, yea, I'm a Depp fan, but I heard he's totally taken this movie and turned it on its head.  May be waiting for that one to come on cable.

And speaking of its head, take a look at what Tonto has on his.
This is Depp's take on Tonto, and why I agree totally with David that this will be a flop. Does anyone really want to see a modern revisionist take on The Lone Ranger?

Oh, what the *&%$ is that?  Seriously?  I'm gonna have to watch the trailer that was posted to see if it washes the bad taste out of my mouth.   Because, well, some things  just can't be un-seen.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
And, yea, I'm a Depp fan, but I heard he's totally taken this movie and turned it on its head.  May be waiting for that one to come on cable.

This is Depp's take on Tonto, and why I agree totally with David that this will be a flop. Does anyone really want to see a modern revisionist take on The Lone Ranger?

Oh, what the *&%$ is that?  Seriously?  I'm gonna have to watch the trailer that was posted to see if it washes the bad taste out of my mouth.   Because, well, some things  just can't be un-seen.

I think it's a cool pic.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »

I think this was the hat's original design:

I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
Still going to pass. Plus it is a Jerry Bruckheimer movie and as far as I'm concerned his best stuff is all pre-1995.

My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
As far as westerns go, Depp was great in Dead Man.

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
Still going to pass. Plus it is a Jerry Bruckheimer movie and as far as I'm concerned his best stuff is all pre-1995.

"Doomsday Device or some kind of Ultimate Weapon?"  Did this girl watch the same trailer I did??  Wilkinson's character is just talking about, the railway... right?   ???

Offline David

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »

"Doomsday Device or some kind of Ultimate Weapon?"  Did this girl watch the same trailer I did??  Wilkinson's character is just talking about, the railway... right?   ???

I'm guessing the crow brings his spirit back from the dead.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:27:19 PM by David »

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »

I think it's a cool pic.

My husband does too, and he's looking forward to the movie I think.  He never saw the one from 1980 or 1981, and never watched them as a kid on TV, so he thinks whatever they put out is going to be OK as long as there are no singing cowboys.  I told him his Westerns standards weren't very high.  LOL!   :P

bobamos

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Nope... Not gonna waste my time or money on this thing. I am not sure what t is suppose to be but it certainly isn't the Lone Ranger!!!

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
My husband does too, and he's looking forward to the movie I think.  He never saw the one from 1980 or 1981, and never watched them as a kid on TV, so he thinks whatever they put out is going to be OK as long as there are no singing cowboys.  I told him his Westerns standards weren't very high.  LOL!   :P

Nope... Not gonna waste my time or money on this thing. I am not sure what t is suppose to be but it certainly isn't the Lone Ranger!!!

That's the thing about this film. It might turn out to be a really good Western but it isn't The Lone Ranger. I don't believe that iconic characters always need to change with the times, something makes them iconic, and by definition that is unchanging.

And I still carry a grudge for what Depp and Burton did to Dark Shadows.

Offline David

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »

I lost all interest in Hollywood when I saw the trailer  for that film.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »

That's the thing about this film. It might turn out to be a really good Western but it isn't The Lone Ranger. I don't believe that iconic characters always need to change with the times, something makes them iconic, and by definition that is unchanging.

I was thinking the same thing while watching the trailer.  Great new Western movie, but is it really The Lone Ranger?  Looked more like a Tonto movie to me w/ a cowboy sidekick.  I don't mind updating the style or production of the movie, but why does the character need to change?  I assume the movie makers are fans of the character, otherwise why make a movie?  So why are they trying to change what they initially liked?  Defeats the purpose to me.

I never really watched Dark Shadows, but saw enough previews for the show as a kid to grasp the general feeling and nuance of the show.  I almost keeled over when I saw the trailer for the Depp "movie."  I just don't get why everything has be turned into Beetlejuice!

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

never really watched Dark Shadows, but saw enough previews for the show as a kid to grasp the general feeling and nuance of the show.  I almost keeled over when I saw the trailer for the Depp "movie."  I just don't get why everything has be turned into Beetlejuice!

Yes, I agree Johnny Depp is a very good actor but I think money talks  (like he needs more) Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

It's kind of sad how ppl that do what they love for a living want more money in one year than they or their descendants could possibly spend in a life time...And they wonder why most ppl wait for it to come on cable or DvD. I remember not that long ago, I could take my girl to the show tickets and popcorn and drinks and dinner before the movie 50 bucks (no not McDonald's) try that now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:02:46 PM by David »

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
Putting aside my disagreements with his choices, I do sort of admire Depp for doing what he wants in a role, even if it is not the popular decision, rather than just phone in a performance and cash in the big bucks. Depp does put a lot into his work.

Offline David

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
Any word on how this film did at the box office?