Author Topic: Opinons on the Lone Ranger  (Read 1129 times)

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
Opinons on the Lone Ranger
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
Whenever thge subject of Westerns comes up shows like Gunsmoke and Luke Slaughter always get mentioned. The Lone Ranger never really comes up, even though it is one of the most famous shows in OTR. Why not? How come there's relatively little love for the masked man?
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline David

Re: Opinons on the Lone Ranger
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Whenever thge subject of Westerns comes up shows like Gunsmoke and Luke Slaughter always get mentioned. The Lone Ranger never really comes up, even though it is one of the most famous shows in OTR. Why not? How come there's relatively little love for the masked man?

To me it's more of a kids show.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »

To me it's more of a kids show.

Perhaps, though I'd call it more of a family show than a kid's show. But even if I assume you are right, Space Patrol gets a lot of love here, and that is a very juvenile show.

bobamos

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »
I agree with David. It is a kids show. I have to admit to liking it just the same. Another is Challenge of the Yukon. AKA Sgt. Preston. I love that show too.

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
I've never really heard it to be honest? And while we are on the subject, who has heard about the movie they were making of it? I think Depp was to be Tanto the last I heard of it.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
I've never really heard it to be honest? And while we are on the subject, who has heard about the movie they were making of it? I think Depp was to be Tanto the last I heard of it.

Yep, and that's why I'm not going to see it. Depp is a great actor but he seems to be taking this in a direction that is too far from the source material. It seems like most directors just defer to him and his vision. He needs to be reigned in.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Speaking of, a new poster was released today - I'm not sure that it helps their case, however:

I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
What little I've seen of the old Lone Ranger TV shows and the movie that came out when I was a kid in 1981, I like the Lone Ranger.  I simply have never heard any of the radio shows.  I can deal with them being geared towards the family and not just adults, but as long as we're not dealing with any singing cowboys, I'll be OK.

And, yea, I'm a Depp fan, but I heard he's totally taken this movie and turned it on its head.  May be waiting for that one to come on cable.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »

Yep, and that's why I'm not going to see it. Depp is a great actor but he seems to be taking this in a direction that is too far from the source material. It seems like most directors just defer to him and his vision. He needs to be reigned in.

I predict a box office flop, no one wants to see a non violent western. Now if they stepped it up to an R rating and put some blood and guts into the script they might break even but the name alone to me says "Dont forget to drink your ovaltine"  Kids now days arn't into cowboys and Indians.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
And, yea, I'm a Depp fan, but I heard he's totally taken this movie and turned it on its head.  May be waiting for that one to come on cable.

And speaking of its head, take a look at what Tonto has on his.
This is Depp's take on Tonto, and why I agree totally with David that this will be a flop. Does anyone really want to see a modern revisionist take on The Lone Ranger?

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
I stepped out of seeing Dark Shadows, and I will most likely be stepping away from this as well. I like Depp, but not enough to check out this.

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
I stepped out of seeing Dark Shadows, and I will most likely be stepping away from this as well. I like Depp, but not enough to check out this.

Yes, I was very disappointed when I found out dark shadows was going to be a comedy...I didn't even bother looking at the revues.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
My disappointment with the Burton/Depp Dark Shadows knows no boundaries. I'll be polite and move along...
But even when everyone loved Pirates of the Carribean I thought Depp was getting out of hand, and his Willy Wonka turned me off, and his choices lately are just not the choices I'd like to see an actor of his caliber make. But all that said, I have to admire that he is willing to take chances and stay true to his vision.

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
They've released the trailer for the new film, and, I must admit, I actually kind of like the look of it:

I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
They've released the trailer for the new film, and, I must admit, I actually kind of like the look of it:

looks pretty good.