Author Topic: Suspense  (Read 573 times)

Offline Skinner

• Caffeine Fiend
  • I was funnier in the old forum.
    • Flash Pulp
Suspense
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
Listen, I'm not complaining - really I'm not, I love Suspense as much as the next OTR fiend - but I must admit that I miss the days of mixed-and-matched RR episodes. It was always nice to stumble across a Jim-picked show that I'd never heard of before, and though it's still great for that, I feel like a tiny bit of the fun is out of it by knowing that it's going to be "and Suspense" every week.

Am I a lonely curmudgeon on this one?
I write Flash Pulp
I live at Skinner.fm
I tweet

Offline T. Baker

Re: Suspense
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Listen, I'm not complaining - really I'm not, I love Suspense as much as the next OTR fiend - but I must admit that I miss the days of mixed-and-matched RR episodes. It was always nice to stumble across a Jim-picked show that I'd never heard of before, and though it's still great for that, I feel like a tiny bit of the fun is out of it by knowing that it's going to be "and Suspense" every week.

Am I a lonely curmudgeon on this one?

You're not alone.

I did like the diversity of the shows but when they stopped the separate "Suspense replay" it was integrated into this show.

Since I've already heard all the episodes of the series (yep, all 945 episodes (plus two loose ones)) on my MP3 player, I generally skip the last half of the Relic Radio podcast and go on to the next podcast.

I can understand Jim's using the show, because there are so many episodes of it and it is a popular show, but since I've heard them all - it's just something I'd rather skip for now, especially since I started to "burn out" on the show after hearing so many of them.

Listening to the show got real hard when I started getting into the late '50's and 60's episodes (1958 - 1962), but I got through them and now I'm taking a break from them.

I'm starting to "burn out" on CBS Radio Mystery Theater" as well, so I only play a few episodes a week on my MP3 player as opposed to how many I was listening to before.

I think in my case "burn out" may have dampened my like of the "Suspense" but given enough time I'll get back to listening to them again.
There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.
old English proverb

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »
I kind of do as well but if I remember it was because of a server problem, so it wasn't exactly planned. I do remember hearing I Love Adventure on it and The Avenger for the first time on it.

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Yes, it was a quick fix when the company that was hosting "Suspense Replay" pulled the plug with no notice.  It was also a bit of a break for me - one less show I had to 'program' each week.

I agree though, it's getting stale.  The little bit of feedback I've gotten on it has pretty much echoed what you guys are saying.

Perhaps a change is due next month.

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
I've gotten a lot more choosy with OTR in general.
Imagine a century from now, when some nostalgia network puts together a Relic Television Old Time TV broadcast, where episodes of Law and Order SVU are paired with Manimal, and the comedy broadcast is one week  30 Rock, the next week Herman's Head, next week Hee Haw. I've always given RR and Jim big props for not playing some of the lamer OTR, but sometimes I think that many of us (I certainly do) see OTR through a veil of nostalgia and forget there was a lot of crud back then too.

To bring this back on track, the bloom went off the rose of Suspense for me years ago. While it has some amazing highs, on average Suspense stopped interesting me years ago. In fact it kind of bored me. Unlike T. Baker, it was only the last couple of seasons that interested me after awhile. (I'm becoming more interested in 60's, 70's, 80's "OTR.")
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
Another mark on the 'dump Suspense' side of the board then.  Very good.  :)

If you could get that TV channel off the ground I'd be a huge supporter!

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
Well, I already have one video on my youtube channel, that's a start.  :)
My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Meow?

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
Another mark on the 'dump Suspense' side of the board then.  Very good.  :)

If you could get that TV channel off the ground I'd be a huge supporter!

I second that notion! And I agree with the whole OTR nostalgia. It was like anything else: some good, some bad.

Offline Jim

• Administrator
    • Relic Radio
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
And a 'dump Suspense' for the lady.  Noted.

Offline Meow?

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
And a 'dump Suspense' for the lady.  Noted.

It's all up to you Jim. You are the editor of all we hear (for lack of a better term.)