Author Topic: Foyles War - Whitehall 1212  (Read 225 times)

Offline kibblefactor2

Foyles War - Whitehall 1212
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »
I have discovered, by some careful listening, that the writers of the latest "Foyles War", namely Anthony Horowitz and David Kane listen to OTR.

The plot of an episode from series 8, "The Eternity Ring", was obviously lifted from the show "Whitehall 1212" which aired on 9th March 1952.

In the Whitehall 1212 episode called "The Case of Dr Duncan Allen" nuclear scientists are suspected of being part of a Russian spy ring.  During the episode not only is a police inspector investigating, looking for spys amongst scientists coming over from America/Canada, but an amount of nuclear material goes missing and at one point the code phases used by the spys are revealed as "What is the shortest route to the strand?" and "Come along, I'm going that way."

The Foyles War episode, Foyle has returned from America, is pulled in to investigate scientists recently returned from America one of whom is suspected of being a Russian spy.  Some nuclear material goes missing (stolen) and the spys use almost the same phrases, with only a word being changed.

So, what does this mean?  This means that the writers of Foyles War, Anthony Horowitz and David Kane, know good audio drama when they hear it and can mold it into terrific video drama.

Bravo gents.

This episode of Whitehall 1212 was aired in episode 296 of Case Closed

You can listen to the audio here... (link changed by admin) http://relicradio.com/otr/2012/11/cc296-whitehall-1212-and-secrets-of-scotland-yard/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:18:39 PM by Jim »

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
Re: Foyles War - Whitehall 1212
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
I'm a fan of that show, but I've only seen the first and second series. I haven't gone that far.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
Re: Foyles War - Whitehall 1212
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
My husband has watched Foyle's War also, and it's something I've enjoyed as well.  They are up to series EIGHT????  Wow!
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.