Author Topic: Maybe some of you might be able to help...  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
Maybe some of you might be able to help...
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
I'm posting this on several music forums, but I figured posting it here, too, wouldn't hurt, and who knows, you might actually give better advice than pure music lovers.
So:

As crazy as it may sound, I haven't been hit as hard (emotionally speaking) as I expected when I recently lost my day job.   I know I'm in for some very hard times (Italy is basically falling apart and there are no jobs whatsoever for anybody), but I think it happened for a purpose.

I've been trying to understand what that purpose might be, and the only answer my heart keeps giving me is that it's time for me to do what I really love doing to make a living.

There's not much I love doing, except for music.
I'm not willing to release my music through a label (records don't sell anymore - not with my kind of music, anyway, and I'm quite happy with giving it away for free.), but I keep thinking it might be used for films, documentaries etc. (as suggested by Matt, among others, thank you :)  )
I believe some independent moviemakers might be interested, if only I could contact them.

So here's my question: does any of you know how to find a list of independent moviemakers and how I could contact them (or any other thing you may want to suggest)?

I'm having a hard time looking for information on the net, as I have no idea where to start from...

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome, thank you in advance!
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
Re: Maybe some of you might be able to help...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
You can imagine how many filmmakers I work with that are looking for Royalty Free Music for their indy films!  I'll ask around and see where they normally go hunting.  www.freesound.org/ is a big one for audio producers...

I'm sure someone's asked about you selling albums online in through iTunes, etc. but just in case, I'll ask again:

How about itunes or some other online distributer?

Indiegogo?

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
I will admit right off the bat that I don't know a thing about selling music, but I think Peter is right: using iTunes and other digital stores is he best way to make money with your music.  I found this site, and it looks as if it has a pretty easy payment model: http://www.tunecore.com/  In addition to being relatively cheap (instead of having each digital store take a cut from you), the site claims that you keep all your royalties and rights to your music, which I'm sure would be a plus.

Also, selling CDs on eBay and Amazon wouldn't be so bad, but it would be slow in paying back...
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
Pete, Jake, thank you for the replies  :)

I'll start from the records, that's the part I forgot to explain ;-P   

Unfortunately, even when I did have a contract with the German label Syngate, all I made was something like 600 euros  a year...   That's not even enough to survive one month.
People do not pay for music, they can have as much music as they want with just a (legal or illegal) click  :(

The point is, selling my music wouldn't give me enough to live on, so I would still need a "real" job, and the side effect would be that my music couldn't spread freely as it does now  :-/
Plus, what I do is not "commercial" - for example,  I'm on bandcamp, but I get in a year the number of hits I get in three weeks on my own website...  it just doesn't work for my kind of music, which is basically just for a niche   :-/

Finally, there's my personal take on it... I think one should keep some things as "pure" as possible. Promoting and selling it would turn it into a job... I'm not sure I'm getting my feelings across, what I mean is that when I make music now, it's just for it to exist, period.  The moment it became a "job,"  it'd stop being my share of giving to the universe in return for what good I've gotten in my life... I know it sounds crazy, but you can probably understand.

However, I wouldn't have any problem with producers of anything using it for their own productions, but I would definitely need to make some money out of it.  No royalties, at least initially, a single payment would be OK, but I do need it. 
Throughout my life I've used, at different times, all the things I can do and all I am, but I've never tried to make any serious money with music, which happens to be the one thing I can really do.
Maybe it's just because I don't really know how I will survive now that I don't have a job anymore (and won't find one anytime soon), so my mind has come up with this crazy idea for me to focus on in order not to let me get truly desperate, but I still think it's worth trying...

So yes, Pete, whatever lead you could give me to follow - as long as there's a little dough in it - would be just great  :)

Thank you again for your replies!

----------

Offline Matt Cowan

• Vintage Horror
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »
I'll ask a few friends of mine who might have some insight on it, but I personally don't know the answer. You have so much talent that there must be a way for you to profit off it. I'll let you know in a few days what I found out.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »
Matt, you've suggested the whole idea, I'd say that's a pretty darn good answer in itself 

(by the way, sorry for not having replied to your email yet, I will soon)
----------

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
Mac, I'm going to shoot Craig Brewer a message through Twitter and see if I get a response.  I don't know if you'll know his name, but you may know his movies.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0108132/

He's from Memphis, where I live, and he's used friends of mine in his movies.  He's always looking for fresh new talent, whether it be acting, music, sets, locations, etc.  I'll let you know if I have any luck.   ;D
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
OK, well we'll see what that does.  Also, Mac, if you're on Twitter, you can find him at https://twitter.com/MyBrewTube & at http://tinyurl.com/ya2dbb2 to get a look at some of his stuff.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Janece, that'd be awesome and whatever the outcome, I'm very, very grateful for the attempt!!

I'm not on twitter, but it looks like I'll have to look into all those horrible community things in the near future  :-/    A British fan of mine (incredible guy) is guiding me through the maze that my brain is to help me find practical ways to accomplish what I need to, and promotion etc is definitely where I'm lacking...

Among other things, he also firmly insisted a lot on my selling my music (as some of you also suggested), which I really didn't want to. However, I think I found a compromise I can accept:   I will be selling some of my music while stating clearly that the same music can be downloaded for free from my website, but I'll also say I'd really appreciate if anybody who can afford to buy it will, in order to help me keep the rest of my music free.
For now, that's the best compromise my heart can accept, hopefully it'll bring in a few coins to help me survive till I find a more lucrative way to do what I want (and/or a day job that doesn't prevent me from making music).
----------

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
I'll let you know if I hear anything, but in the meantime, I wish you all the luck in the world on getting your music out there!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Thank you   
----------

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Anytime, my friend!

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
I got nothing for you Mac. That is something out of my knowledge. I would say networking, but alas no real advice on how to do such a thing. But I wish you luck.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »
Just sending positive thoughts is a great help, believe me  :)   So thanks!  :)
----------

Offline Peter

• Please check out my radio play podcast at...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
However, I think I found a compromise I can accept:   I will be selling some of my music while stating clearly that the same music can be downloaded for free from my website, but I'll also say I'd really appreciate if anybody who can afford to buy it will, in order to help me keep the rest of my music free.
For now, that's the best compromise my heart can accept, hopefully it'll bring in a few coins to help me survive till I find a more lucrative way to do what I want (and/or a day job that doesn't prevent me from making music).

1) Miss Kitty can't understand why you're not a Billionaire when she listens to your music.

2) She also suggests that a paid version of the same songs that are available for free, may not be as "expedient" as offering half of your music for free and the OTHER half for a fee... what if all of your music (that's been free for a long time now) is sold, while new offerings are posted for free.  How do drug dealers do it??  ;-)

3) We love you.