Author Topic: Dratted earworm!  (Read 612 times)

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
Dratted earworm!
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
Usually, when I listen to Fibber McGee and Molly, I fast-forward through the music.  I've started listening to the music, though, because they are singing about WWII and I thought I could get an idea of WWII society by hearing the songs.

After the episode I listened to today, the earworm I have -- the song going off in my brain -- is "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!"
Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline David

Re: Dratted earworm!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Usually, when I listen to Fibber McGee and Molly, I fast-forward through the music.  I've started listening to the music, though, because they are singing about WWII and I thought I could get an idea of WWII society by hearing the songs.

After the episode I listened to today, the earworm I have -- the song going off in my brain -- is "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!"

I just watched a video for that song on youtube. I would post it here but it was made by a liberal..(not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:22 AM »
My only solution to earworms is listening to the darn song until it stops playing in my head. As a matter of fact, I hate it when I'm not home and it starts playing and goes on and on until I can finally go back home and listen to it    :-/
It's an interesting phenomenon, though, I'm sure it's related to OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and probably even to what pushes  serial killers to commit murders, except that earworms are a much milder form, of course.
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »

The D-Day broadcast is especially good if you want a whole collection of ear worms!  Seriously, the effort FM& M put toward the war cannot be overlooked.  The original show definitely reflected the country as it came out of depression but quickly turned to reflect the state of the nation during the war. 

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
The only earworms I've gotten lately are the theme songs to Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony.  I'm not sure what can help with that because I certainly don't want to have to listen to them again to get them out of my head. :P
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline allyn211

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »

The D-Day broadcast is especially good if you want a whole collection of ear worms!  Seriously, the effort FM& M put toward the war cannot be overlooked.  The original show definitely reflected the country as it came out of depression but quickly turned to reflect the state of the nation during the war.

I just ordered a book through Interlibrary Loan called How Fibber McGee and Molly Won World War II.  I'd love to see what it says.
Tina

Offline Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
You will love the book!

Another good episode is an episode of the Great Gildersleeve from December 7, 1941.  The episode wasn't about the attack of course, but the news interruptions still get to me.  Such an uncertain time.

Offline hoppus63

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
As soon as I read earworm all I could think of was an episode of Night Gallery called "The Caterpillar" where this guy uses an earwig that gets placed in the ear of the victim and then proceeds to eat their brain.
That episode was one of the creepiest I have even seen........ and boy, you had me. Imagine my surprise at what you are actually talking about....

Offline bmj2k (Barry)

• I came free with five boxtops, plus postage and handling.
  • This space for rent
    • Mr. Blog's Tepid Ride
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
I thought of this:

My blog: bmj2k.com where I engage in all manner of frivolity and silliness.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
You guys are weird...  o__O

(by the way, we have those here in Italy, I don't know if you do in the US.   They're not that big (in fact, they're very small) and don't have such a long tail, but they are basically the same animal http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/Public/data7/Tonikon/Formicaleone%2015-06-2004.jpg_200911923438_Formicaleone%2015-06-2004.jpg  . They're called "formica leone," which means "lion ant" and is a very odd name, since they look neither like a lion, nor like an ant)
----------

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
I thought of this:

This is EXACTLY what I thought of first when I saw the thread title!  :)

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
You guys are weird...  o__O

(by the way, we have those here in Italy, I don't know if you do in the US.   They're not that big (in fact, they're very small) and don't have such a long tail, but they are basically the same animal http://www.naturamediterraneo.com/Public/data7/Tonikon/Formicaleone%2015-06-2004.jpg_200911923438_Formicaleone%2015-06-2004.jpg  . They're called "formica leone," which means "lion ant" and is a very odd name, since they look neither like a lion, nor like an ant)

EWWWWWW!!!!

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »

EWWWWWW!!!!
I know, right?    :o   I played with them all the time when I was a child (which probably explains a number of things about me...)
----------

Offline allyn211

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 06:16:45 AM »
I thought of this:

That scene has also crossed my mind.  :: shudder ::
Tina

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »

EWWWWWW!!!!
I know, right?    :o   I played with them all the time when I was a child (which probably explains a number of things about me...)

I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you mention it.....