Author Topic: Things Old Time Radio Has Taught You  (Read 241 times)

Offline David J.

Things Old Time Radio Has Taught You
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
I had no idea what Russian Roulette was until I heard that Suspense episode "The Game".

Offline David

Re: Things Old Time Radio Has Taught You
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
Well, I'm from the USA so I'm not real familiar with certain words the British use. After listening to enough old BBC radio plays I've heard odd words I wasnt sure about so I looked some of them up.

I.E curate "a term used in various Christian religions who possess an ordained ministry to describe a priest who is not a parish priest but operates in effect as his or her deputy"

Snollygoster"One, especially a politician, who is guided by personal advantage rather than by consistent, respectable principles."

The list goes on I wont bore you with details.

Offline Janece

• I type Southern
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
Thanks to a couple of Gunsmoke episodes, I've figured out that "singing cowboys" weren't something that Hollywood made up to sell shows.  Figured out that when the cowboys were riding along the large herds of cattle they were moving, they would sing or hum or call out to let the cattle know where they were.  Seems to make perfect sense, but you just don't think about making the connection.
Political junkie, history nerd, OTR fan and my personal fave....Olivia's Mom!

Learn from history; don't repeat it. Love one another & listen with your heart.

Offline allyn211

• "It . . . is . . . later . . . than . . . you . . . think."
  • Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
I have learned things about WWII rationing that I didn't know before, thanks to the commercials and a few references in OTR shows.  For example, I didn't know that in order to get a new tube of toothpaste, you had to return the old one first (I think because they wanted/needed the metal).  And I think it was while listening to a PSA about how "the factories will be back in service soon" that I realized the reason a particular family I once read about had such an old car during the 1940's.  There WERE no new cars for sale until approximately 1948!

Tina

"Pleasant . . . dreams?" -- From Inner Sanctum and CBSRMT.

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »
I have learned things about WWII rationing that I didn't know before, thanks to the commercials and a few references in OTR shows.  For example, I didn't know that in order to get a new tube of toothpaste, you had to return the old one first (I think because they wanted/needed the metal).  And I think it was while listening to a PSA about how "the factories will be back in service soon" that I realized the reason a particular family I once read about had such an old car during the 1940's.  There WERE no new cars for sale until approximately 1948!

That's also when / how popcorn became a popular snack,  potato's and chocolate were rationed as well.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Well, since this is not my native language and the American culture is something I've never been a part of, the things I discovered through OTR shows (both in terms of language and culture) are too many to even try and remember... 
I guess I would list the war and post war periods as the most interesting in terms of understanding what life was like for people at that time.   
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline Meow?

• is neither here nor there.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
I learned how to use my imagination a bit more.

Offline Mac of BIOnighT

• Macvibes
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
I learned how to use my imagination a bit more.
----------
My music:  www.macvibes.com
Space Adventures website:  www.macvibes.com/spaceadventures/

Offline jake

• Occasionally
    • JWPhotos
JWPhoto.net
Have camera, will travel!